Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to import and export txt and csv file in magento any one please suggest

shubh

Total Posts:  6

plz any one suggest

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hey shub,

there are plenty of posts around about importing and exporting from magento.

Best way to start is to create a product or a few products in magento, then export as a csv file. This will give you and example of what data to import back into magento.
I suggest that you also create some custom attributes also. This will give you a feel for these fields also.

its honestly a pretty straight forward process. But there aint much documentation about it.

Just look in this forum. There is one post about importing with images also.

hth
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

ktsixit

Total Posts:  68

brendanb - 04 August 2008 01:45 AM

hey shub,

there are plenty of posts around about importing and exporting from magento.

Best way to start is to create a product or a few products in magento, then export as a csv file. This will give you and example of what data to import back into magento.
I suggest that you also create some custom attributes also. This will give you a feel for these fields also.

its honestly a pretty straight forward process. But there aint much documentation about it.

Just look in this forum. There is one post about importing with images also.

hth
brendan

in admin panel you can import and export files in System>Import/Export/Profiles???
And what Profiles are?
If I choose to execute an Export Profile, is there a csv file produced? And if it is where is it??

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

in admin panel you can import and export files in System>Import/Export/Profiles???
And what Profiles are?
If I choose to execute an Export Profile, is there a csv file produced? And if it is where is it??

1. Yes, you use the System/Import Export
2. There are a number of basic profiles, which are pretty self explanitory. You can if your upto it create/expand on these profiles. I havent dont this as yet, im planning on using the API later.

3. You can either dump the export file to your sever or to a remote FTP site/server
I usually to an export to the local server. You will see under “File Information” a Path To: option. Ive set this for example to be var/export

This var/export folder doesnt exist. Only Var/"import". So i just created a new folder called “Export” under the Var directory.Just for my own sanity and ensuring i dont mix up files

Once you run the export you can retreive the file and see what fields are required. This really serves as a good basis for what fields are required.
Note: If you are planning on adding new attributes, add these first then create a dummy product record. Then export. This will give you an example file of what you need to run a import in

Please note: You dont need to fill in all fields. There is a post on this forum which documents what are mandatory fields.

One Final thing, if you want to add multiple images (ie a Gallery of images) there is a module in the Connect section which does this, as out of the box this only allows you to import 3 Image Files for the same product.

anyway hope this gives you an idea

brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Norah1975

Total Posts:  3

I think it is too late to post this)) but maybe it will help somebody. If you want to export .txt or .csv - try Magento export module. And if you want to import your data I suggest you to try automated import services. Perfect thing..no errors...quick and save. I have found this extension for example. You can search for different import modules in the internet. Hope it will help you)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community