Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Content block displayed only on “home” page, and not in category, sales, .. layouts

lucasl

Total Posts:  5

Hi there, thanks for such a great framework!

I have created a custom way of displaying categories in my site’s home page, and as a result I created a template file inside category/navigation/ which iterates through all categories and displays them according to my needs.

I then went ahead and modified page.xml in my “modern theme” layouts and added the following line inside the ‘content’ structural block:

<block type="core/text_list" name="content" as="content">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="contentmenu" as="contentmenu" template="catalog/navigation/contentmenu.phtml" />
</block>

Finally I went to sample\home.phtml and added a $this->getChildHtml(’contentmenu’) to display the categories in this sample homepage.

So far so good? My problem is that given the categories template was declared as a child for “content” which is a structural block, it appears in every single page that makes use of the content block.

I have found a way of “unsetting” a certain content block from within other xml files - meaning that I would have to go to category.xml and every other xml which displays the categories and unset the ‘contentmenu’ block.

Is there a better way? Is there an xml file specifically for the home page where I can reference the content structural block and add a child right there?

This looks like an ugly workaround that I’m not really comfortable with smile I simply want the categories to be displayed in the main page. If I add all the php code in home.phtml then I’m not in the corresponding namespace to access the categories.

Thanks for your help!

/Lucas

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lucasl

Please anyone?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucasl

Hello? Please anyone can advice on this?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamelodge

Total Posts:  89
Brisbane, Qld, Australia

If you add something like this to your CMS home page in custom design tag then it will add the update to only the home page [ do this through admin interface cms tab]

<reference name="content">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="contentmenu" as="contentmenu" template="catalog/navigation/contentmenu.phtml" />
</reference>

in my actual page contentmenu.phtml i would add something like this:  [ this is my version of doing a similar thing]

$cats $this->getStoreCategories();

$x 0;

?>

<div id="midmenu-container">

<?php 

foreach ($cats as $_category): 
        if(
$x == || $x ==){echo '<ul id="simple-menu">';}

echo $this->drawItem($_category);
        if(
$x ==){echo '</ul>';}
            $x
++;
    endforeach;
?>
</div>

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucasl

You, dear friend, are absolutely correct!

Thank you so much for your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hugoto

Total Posts:  33

Hi guys, could you please explain how to do that?. I’m very newby to Magento so I can’t understand what are you doing…

Thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

lucasl - 08 August 2008 10:26 AM

You, dear friend, are absolutely correct!

Thank you so much for your help!

Since you are adding it to the Content of your home page CMS, you could also use:

{{block type="catalog/navigation" name="contentmenu" template="catalog/navigation/contentmenu.phtml" }}

This goes in the General Information tab in the admin > CMS > Manage Pages section.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucasl

Great!! Thanks.

I used the first solution and played around with the after="” or before="” attributes which end up placing the block after or before another block.

It makes a lot more sense this way, thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community