Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I deleted a product ("SimDevil") and re-created it but now the url is “/simdevil-2” - how do I fix it? 

SecretSanta

Total Posts:  79

Hi all

I created a product called SimDevil.  I later deleted it, and now that I have re-created it the url is showing as “/simdevil-2” - how do I fix it?

http://www.phonedevil.com/shop/simdevil-2.html

If I visit /simdevil I get a 404 error.

Many thanks smile

Callum

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

I believe u simply delete the product record from the database, as it seems to stay there. I think.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Whoah quick reply, cheers!

Where is this database?

When I delete it from the database you mentioned, will my url correct itself?

Callum

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

You will have to access the database via your host.

*** BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING *** (thats full backup not from the magento admin but from your host end). Deleting things from the database can go wrong. Trust me lol. You need to go to the “catalog_inventory” table or something and delete the product from there. I had the same problem when I started out so haven’t been in the database recently.

When you delete from your database you should go back to the product to check the “product url” is as you want and it should work. You might want to wait for someone with more ability to comment though, up to you. This is advice from memory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Many thanks!! smile

hmmm that’s not something I’d be comfortable doing myself.  Are there any geniuses reading this who can:

a) Confirm this is correct (and add further detail if possible
b) Do this for me (I’m terrified I’ll break the website, as this sounds more technical than the usual problems!)

Best Regards

Callum

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Do it for you?… You won’t get far with that attitude mate lol. I am a complete noob. I have been learning CSS and how Magento works to an extent that I can get the job done. I have had to learn about FTP and learn abit about msql databases and myphp access etc.

Im sure someone will post a reply shortly. In the meantime I will have a look later at how I did it and get back to this post. (In the meantime you should move on until a sollid answer is given for you)..plenty to do I imagine :o)

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

I’ve spent hours tweaking the site and i’ve been up until the early hours since last october getting my business ready for me to launch it and quit my day job.  This site is just part 1 of the revolution wink

From what you say, it sounds like I could completely break the site if i’m not careful.  As i’m a newbie too I’d be much more happy if someone did it for me.  I’ll edit my last post so it doesn’t come across like im being lazy smile lol

p.s. cheers for all your help smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

no worries mate, I’m still on a learning curve. Send me a pm of your website address so I can see it?

You probably should change your username (if you can) as well...cos these are public forums and you’ll probably start to get spam from bots etc finding your email address.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

ahhh that would explain the recent increase in emails from nigerian banks!!! thanks

my website address is http://www.PhoneDevil.com/shop

The product is:
http://www.phonedevil.com/shop/simdevil-2.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Just looked at your site. In a word, WOW.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Cheers!!
I definately won’t take the credit here as for the most part I’m the commercial guy behind the business strategy and the product itself (hope you like btw lol).

Callum

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

How to fix it:
1. Go to System -> Configuration -> tab Catalog -> Search Engine Optimizations
2. Set “Use categories path for product URLs” to “Yes” and click on Save
3. Go to Catalog -> Manage Products -> edit SimDevil product
4. On Categories tab uncheck all the checkboxes in the tree
5. Click on “Save and Continue Edit”
6. On General tab change the value in “URL key” to any other value (testtest)
7. Click on “Save and Continue Edit”
8. On General tab in “URL key” change the value back to simdevil
9. Click on “Save and Continue Edit”

That’s it.

Btw, why do you keep Magento sample data in your store ? Sitemap (http://....../shop/catalog/seo_sitemap/category/) exposes all the sample categories and products both to search engines and customers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Many thanks!! smile

1.  I have done this now, and then I set “Use categories path for product URLs” to “No” .

2.  I’ve now deleted the sample data from the site (the categories/products weren’t enabled, so they should really have been showing in the sitemap anyway?)

3.  In ‘advanced search’ there is lots of information that is not relevant to my products.  How do I edit this?

4.  I will probably delete the “advanced search” link from the footer, as I only have one product currently.
If I delete the “Site map” link from the footer too, will this mean I get less SEO?  The sitemap page is currently empty, so I don’t think so?

5.  By the way, I had another issue that will probably interest you.  I’ll post in here again if it occurrs tonight:
- My product price is £9.99, however it was showing as a ‘special price’ of £7.99 last night.  It was not set to have a special price, and I have no shopping basket promotion rules that would have made this occurr.
- I went to bed, got to work (I’d been viewing it at home the night before), and it was back to £9.99!

Thanks again

Callum

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

p.s. how can I prevent the “-2” issue from occuring in the future?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community