Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poor handling of Paypal IPN data == Incorrect inventory == fake orders

John34

Total Posts:  33

The problem with Google Checkout is it requires your customers to create a username and password. That will cause you to lose some sales. Why do they have to create an account? That’s why I don’t use Google.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Griff1324

Total Posts:  39

Is there a fix to change how PayPal orders are processed?  I would much rather have the order be created in Magento after the payment has been made through PayPal.  This is how ZenCart handles PayPal transactions.  As it sits now, if I have someone “checkout” via PayPal and then never submit their PayPal information on the PayPal website, the order still shows up in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul W

Dorst UK

*Bump*

This problem still has not been resolved, I think! I have been testing Pay-Pal on our third development and only found this out now! If the customer bails out on the Pay-Pal screen or has a problem, then the order is set to Pay-Pal Pending and the stock is removed but the customer then has no way of getting back the order etc to complete or pay.

Has anyone else found a solution? One thing I did notice was that if I cancel the order the stock is resigned, but it does leave a ghost order that can’t be processed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jeffe

Total Posts:  1

It would be wiser to consider invoices generated as Orders and ignore orders as sales Its strange.Perhaps what will do..

Regards

Jeffe

____
dossier surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

omanisar

Total Posts:  5

Hello,

This is a big issue for some of my clients , We are already looking for options to PAY-PAL.

Maybe creating an extension that works together with ORDER STATUS , so for some status , like PENDING PAYPAL there won’t be inventory reduction , and when order change/set COMPLETE the reduction happens, just an idea.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Megane

Total Posts:  2

Its strange why orders are generated at the drop of the hat. It clogs up the system and the worst part of the problem is the inability to delete orders from admin.

Regards

Megane
Surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

pete_uk

I think it’s very clear that the developers have never actually run an online store.  They don’t seem to have any basic grasp on what is required.  Yes, Magento has some great features but without the fundementals it’s very VERY hard to work with.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

I am concerned that this has still not been resolved! We have been plodding on but anything that is in stock with qty 1 doesn’t sell because if someone tries to buy it the order is bollox’d up by PayPal! Most customers don’t bother to contact you to tell you either they assume someone else ordered it at the same time!

Other options include:

Nochex
CardSave
Protx (SagePay)
PayPal Direct/Pro

We have Nochex, but there appears to be a duplicate order problem there too. Again because the customer pays externally to the magento install - which is ridiclous as most are going to so why hasn’t Magento considered that?!

CardSave are the best by far. We have just signed with them. Best rates. Integrate into the Magento cart so no external checkout and they offer a virtual terminal to take payment over the phone or live chat or similar.

If this gets solved please let us know as people still want to pay with PayPal!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jon at Creative Insight

Total Posts:  4

We are having exactly the same problem and it is very frustrating for our client.  They already have an alternative gateway (sagepay/protx), but they have a long history of using PayPal (since they have moved from an eBay store over to a Magento solution) and would like to keep the ability.  However these ‘pending orders’ are quickly becoming a deal breaker.

Any insight into this problem would be invaluable!

Magento Community
Magento Community

wellboy

Yeah, having this problem too. Suppose the way to do it is to tell the client that if you use paypal standard you must look after your orders thru paypal and ignore magento inventory (set quantity to 10000). If the client only uses paypal standard what can they expect?

Magento Community
Magento Community

coolshop

Total Posts:  121

We have been talking about this issue for two years. I am using Magento 1.3.2.4

Let think about a brick and Mortar business like Walmart. Walmart does not create an order or decrease inventory evertime a customer goes to checkout and get an processing error due to invalid credit cards.

Here is what I think should happen:
1 items in a cart are only sale leads until processed successfully with confirmation back from paypal
Inventory is handled the same way as if the item is still in the cart (order not processed)
Being redirected to Paypal is the same as having the items in the cart.
So for issues about the low probability of people ordering the same items at the same time, it should be handled the same way as two people wanted to put the same item in the shopping card at the same time.

2 Asynchronously Paypal send back and IPN to confirm the order, then an order is created in Magento and an order confirmation email sent to the customer.
The inventory level is decreased and the order can be fulfilled.

3 If the customer cancel the order, the inventory should be increased, cancellation confirmation sent to the customer.

This is common sense and pretty straightforward.

Check this diagram it will make more sense:

Paypal API diagram

Now who out there want to team up with me to tackle this issue and get it resolved for the whole community?
There are couple components to this: the paypal configuration, the Magento JS GUI, the Magento Model & Block, the Magento front end.
I am getting started on this anyway.

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jon at Creative Insight

Excellent news, I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

Our temporary solution was to run a cron job every minute checking for Paypal ‘payment pending’ orders in Magento, and canceling them automatically after 20 minutes of inactivity (which should be ample time for somebody to go forward and pay).  Our end client is happy with this solution for the time being, but it isn’t ideal!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nabler

Total Posts:  80

00christian00 - 09 March 2009 09:50 PM

Why such important issue is being ignored by magento team?
I got 3 stores,not 1,and in all of them I have tons of pending orders because of this and since many things run out of stock not only it’s pain because i have to clear them everyday but I also lose potential sales because people can’t order something that is actually in stock but has been rendered useless by some people who play with the stores everyday.

Plus It’s a serious threat,any of our competitor could pratically stop us from selling by buying lots of things everyday and make everything out of stock.CRAZY!

they busy with rich boys using interp edition dude…

Magento Community
Magento Community

crazygirl

Total Posts:  56

New to Magento and just realised this problem!

I disagree with many of the posts on here.  I used Oscommerce for years and it managed to operate Paypal successfully so don’t really see why Magento shouldn’t.

Can see though that Paypal standard isn’t going to be the teams focus area!

I’ve been considering upgrading my Paypal anyway - so is everything okay then?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hibrid

Total Posts:  1

It’s an old post but I have this exact problem… Has any solution been found?

Help, please!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community