Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Poor handling of Paypal IPN data == Incorrect inventory == fake orders

GFX Complex

Total Posts:  47
St.Louis

The order system needs to convey the real status of the payment not the users actions.

Orders should not be created nor should inventory be updated until the status of the payment is shown as processing or complete by paypals IPN info. this is a large inconvenience to the admin of the store to have go to papal and first check the real status of the payment since there is no detailed info about the papal IPN transaction. Then have a order created as if the customer completed the payment and have inventory removed.

The Inventory Stock is decreasing even if the customer cancels their order, or abandons their stopping cart in paypal.
If for any reason the user gos to paypal but does not complete the payment the user will come back to the store to fined their shopping cart cleaned and the inventory out of stock if that item was the only one. So how can they to complete there order now????????? they can’t till you clean up the mess of uncompleted orders and incorrect inventory.

Look and see how zen cart use’s paypal. In zen cart orders are not created until the payment is processing or completed via the IPN data provided by paypal. In the info about the order there is detail about the transaction such as if it was a e-check and payment is still pending or if the user has payed via card, ect.. ect… I would like to see the same implantation of that payment model since it is less error prone and conveys the status of the payment.

This to me is no different then if a hacker used a sql injection to decreases the inventory of the store.  though you don’t have to be a hacker to create fake orders to get the same results by default.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Total Posts:  135

If I understand you right GFX Complex: then I have noticed the same.

If you use Paypal Standard, and checkout. You are sent to the paypal store. If you then leave, without even logging in. The Magento store still records it as a purchase.

There has to be an error here somewhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

The Sunday Paper

Total Posts:  202

Wondering about this myself. We’ve got a lot of dead orders and confused customers, as their user accounts show orders that they know they didn’t complete. Is it a problem with the way we’ve got our PayPal Standard settings configured?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

This sounds really bad… like a deal-breaker if you’re just starting out with PayPal as your only payment method (like me).

Wow, I guess I really shouldn’t use this shopping cart at version 1.1 for my client’s store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JamesBee

Total Posts:  26

I am having the same problem with the Protx Form module that Magento created. It’s creating the order AND removing the stock before the payment is made. Magento know that the customer have not yet even been redirected to the payment system and any number of things could go wrong and the order not be successful but the store has already created an order and deducted the stock.

It’s abit like being handed an invoice and the store registering a sale just because you stood in the queue at the cash register.

This is a serious problem for those of us using payment systems that redirect you and I don’t think Magento have thought the process thru at all!

As mentioned, someone could reduce all of our stock just be attempting a few orders in succession. Not much good when you sell limited editions!

Need to find a fix for this A.S.A.P.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gochos

Total Posts:  15

I use Paypal standard and have the same problem. I wanted to go live in a couple of days but trying to avoid it due to this issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

notzippy

Total Posts:  63

Anyone find a fix for this ?
What is worse is that with a configurable product you get 2 items on the order - the configurable product AND the simple product, it appears the configurable product is removed ONLY if the customer returns to your store via the paypal link ! but if they abandon the process (like close the browser you are left with the following
An order in the “Pending” state, containing both the (Configurable product AND the simple product) and the cart still contains the original order…

Magento Community
Magento Community

lechatlisse

Total Posts:  1

Hi there,

Any news on this one.  Anyone managed to get it working?

This is the same issue I had with Mal’s (an admittedly bad cart) but thought it would be dealt with much more elegantly in Magento.

Please help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

notzippy

Total Posts:  63

Really what can you expect if the payment system is outside of your shopping cart ? At some point inventory needs to be reduced. If inventory was not reduced till after paypal sent back the “IPN” then you could end up with a negative inventory. eg qty 1 for item A: Person A picks up item A as does person B, now person A & B go through the checkout process both ending up on paypals website. They both pay and return now you get 2 IPN’s reducing your inventory to -1. But the way magento does it is correct since as soon as the first person who leaves the website to pay for the item gets the inventory and the second is SOL.

So unless you want to shell out big bucks for an credit card approved ssl and do the processing on your website you will have to manually cancel your orders.

z

Magento Community
Magento Community

snarkys

Total Posts:  124

I would much rather run the risk of the rare negative inventory when someone purchases an item while someone else checks out on paypal than the constant day to day inventory nightmare of items being removed from inventory when they are not purchased because they decided not to use paypal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Hi, Been trading (successfully) with Magento for around 2 months. Paypal Standard and I presume most other payment systems, generate an invoice when order is genuine. It would be wiser to consider invoices generated as Orders and ignore orders as sales. Its strange why orders are generated at the drop of the hat. It clogs up the system and the worst part of the problem is the inability to delete orders from admin! Im sure Magento will come around to correcting this irritating anomaly. Orders are only orders if they are paid for. But as I said earlier , for the moment consider each generated invoice as a sign of a true order…
Im also using 2checkout, but at the moment no invoices generated, 2co are looking into this problem.
Thx

Version 1.1.4

Magento Community
Magento Community

smurfs4sale

Total Posts:  13
España

I have the same problem.

Version 1.1.6 and not fix !

Magento Community
Magento Community

kouri

Total Posts:  36

Yups. The inventory is next to useless because of fake orders :( and so many other problems because of the way magento processes this. Though it’s understandable as to why.. to fix this, they should really add the stock back if order is canceled or failed.

I’m at a loss as to how to get real numbers of orders and products sold without having to write some cool code myself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SCY

Total Posts:  47

Should I have known this before I got my site online and selling, i would definitely not use magento! It says magento is going to win the ecommerce war, but I see it too early to even imagine such a victory! A shopping cart that can not handle inventory and payment correctly is WHAT???
I have many unique items (the quantity is only one) and all my customers can’t checkout with paypal from time to time. Some receive error “ number greater than 1” and some found items out of stock while actually the customer has canceled the order! What a stupid thing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

There an extension in Magento Connect to Delete Cancelled Orders. This may help a little.

Magento Community
Magento Community

00christian00

Total Posts:  87

Why such important issue is being ignored by magento team?
I got 3 stores,not 1,and in all of them I have tons of pending orders because of this and since many things run out of stock not only it’s pain because i have to clear them everyday but I also lose potential sales because people can’t order something that is actually in stock but has been rendered useless by some people who play with the stores everyday.

Plus It’s a serious threat,any of our competitor could pratically stop us from selling by buying lots of things everyday and make everything out of stock.CRAZY!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4