Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Move a site without a clean install

infield

Total Posts:  89
San Francisco

I am moving development site to a new production account on the same sever and it appears that there are global paths in the installation that cause some confusion.

I am moving the site from
account: staging
path: /home/staging/

to

account: public
path: /home/public/

I copied all the files via a tar ball and copied the DB. I edited /app/etc/local.xml and set URL is the DB. Everything seemed fine. ntill i tried doing an update from magento connect. i got some errors and it looks like it accessing the original directories in /home/staging/ not /home/public/

When I grep staging see al kinds of entries in downloader.

downloader/pearlib/pear
downloader/pearlib/peardev
downloader/pearlib/php/.registry/ (lots of files with arrays)
downloader/pearlib/php/peclcmd.php
downloader/pearlib/php/peclcmd.php
downloader/pearlib/pear.ini

I tried reinstalling the downloader from magento connect but it doesn’t seem to solve it.
I also tried deleting pear.ini it allowed got rid of the errors but I still see references to the old directories.

Would manually reinstalling the the downloader solve this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Total Posts:  82
Salt Lake City, Utah

I have the same questions.

What is the proper way to move a site? how can one reinstall ‘downloader’?

Magento Community
Magento Community

infield

Total Posts:  89
San Francisco

I’m not sure if it’s proper, but I just do a clean install on the new location then copy over the database and the modified files. Be sire to use the same encryption hash in setup or all your passwords will break.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community