Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to install Sample Data? Please…

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

Hi red face

Please help me out here - I am following the instructions on how to install the newest version of Magento and it says:

STEP 3: You must install sample data before you run the installer.
The sample data is also available from the Magento website in the same download page as the installer.
This step varies by hosting provider and is out of the scope of this document. Consult your provider’s support/documentation for instructions on how to do this.

I contacted the hosting provider only to be told they do not support 3rd party software instalations.

When I go to the ‘Installing Sample Data Archive for Magento 1.0.19870” - it says:

Each archive contains a SQL script that should be applied on a clean database with your database management tool (phpMyAdmin or whatever you use), and a ‘media’ folder with sample product images that you should copy to your Magento media folder.

Please - please - please - someone help me find this ‘SQL script’ becuase I really cannot.

The other thing is: ”Please make sure that you have exactly the same version of Magento that the sample data is provided for 1.0.19870. ”
What? Pardon? How was that? Seriously - I am installing 1.1.2 and there is NO sample data 1.1.2 (at least I can’t find it)

I was really excited about Magento but now I’m just starting to think that you guys make it so complicated to install so that you can increase your revenue (to do the $149 professional installation).

I will be very greatful for any hints.

Thanks kiss

Allysin

PS: What is the difference between version 1.1.1 and 1.1.2? I just uploaded 1.1.1. to the server few days ago. Thanx grin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

casterdon

Total Posts:  22

You have to download the sample data, in that folder is an SQL file to use, this SQL must be the first entered into your new unused DB.

Create new DB, import sample data sql, copy the catalog folder from sample data folder across to you media folder in magento, then you can start your new installation of 1.1.2.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

grin This now works for me - thank you very much for your help! It was a problem with the Sample Data file I downloaded.  red face  Thanks again!  kiss

Magento Community
Magento Community

charleslee

Total Posts:  15

You could add my msn account if u have sth in trouble while using msn:

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community