Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Some things should just work - where is my category nav? where are my products? 

tilzinger

Total Posts:  126

I like Magento, really I do, but some things should just work out of the box. For example, why is the homepage blank even after adding a new product category, and product? It doesn’t even have a nav link to Products/Catalog. I just get a blank page. I have to search for my product to view it. I’ve used a couple other cart systems, and after adding a product, it’s just there on the homepage waiting for me to edit the templates. I navigated to /store/catalog expecting to see something, but I just get redirected to the homepage.

Help. Please. Thanks.

Image Attachments
Picture 3.png

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jackstraw

Total Posts:  62
Carbondale,Colorado

Your actually store categories need to live as subcats of the default category.  I think I phrased that correctly.

1) go to System > Manage Stores
2) click the “Main Website Store” link under Store Name
3) make sure the dropdown for “Root Category *” is set to you top level catergory.  In my case, it was “All Products

I found that for you, it should fix the issue...or read this http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-and-managing-categories

hope that helps,
Nigel

Magento Community
Magento Community

tilzinger

Total Posts:  126

Ah, thanks. I didn’t have my categories nested under the root category… now I’m getting somewhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dss13

Total Posts:  1

thanks a lot, jackstraw
your reply really help my problem here to show the category product in homepage.

terima kasih smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community