Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento show themes based on browser size? 

MunchyMonster

Total Posts:  71
New Hampshire, USA

What I’d like to be able to do is have a theme that is optimized for small screens and another that is optimized for “standard” size screens.  I then would like Magento (or some clever code hiding somewhere else) to pick the right theme to present to the visitor automagically.  That way Mobile Browsers would get a theme more suited to them and “normal” browsers could have a theme more sutied to the available space.

-MunchyMonster

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This is done with the iphone mobile theme. Take a look at the code for this module as reference. http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/303/iphone-theme

Magento Community
Magento Community

MunchyMonster

New Hampshire, USA

Thanks for the response and I’ll dig through the theme to see what I can find…

But can someone point me to the right neighborhood to start looking in?

Thanks,
MunchyMonster

Magento Community
Magento Community

MunchyMonster

New Hampshire, USA

I’ll admit to a certain density, but how do I set up my site to detect if the user is on a mobile device and have it switch to the mobile theme?  I can make my site use the mobile theme or some other theme, but I haven’t figured out how to make it switch on the fly.

-MunchyMonster

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community