Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Connect Error 403 - Solved

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

I’ve had varying problems with magento connect on multiple versions of the software with multiple servers.  My current version is 1.1.1 on 1and1 hosting.  I’ve been able to install a perfectly working copy of the site/db.  I was even able to use magento connect to view installed packages.  Until today.  Now I get an error when trying to use magento connect through the admin:

Error 403 - Forbidden

You tried to access a document for which you don’t have privileges.

I used ssh to update my software.  Did that change the user on all my files to the server?  Is this the problem, and if so, how do I correct that?  If I don’t use ssh, I can’t update anything.  I was using connect, but it would freeze after the first 20 files were updated.  Now I can’t seem to update or install any extensions, either through the admin, or via ssh.  I would like to take this opportunity to request another method of delivering updates and files.  This issue has cost me the most time, and is also a key weak point in this software.  If we can’t update, then our versions are going to get left behind in terms of security patches.  It also greatly limits the expanded functionality of the software.  I don’t really understand why we can’t download extensions as a zip and install them manually.  Could somebody explain why all this is tied to “magento connect?”

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

I’ll reply with my solution.  You need this line in your .htaccess file in your web root.  Make sure it is uncommented and not index.html. 

############################################
## default index file

DirectoryIndex index.php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community