Magento Forum

Problem changing product name, cache problem? 

Inline Media

Total Posts:  130
The Netherlands

I looks like a cache problem, but when changing the product name, the product name doesn’t change.
But in the admin the productname is changed.

Is this a bug?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

The store dropdown in left top corner - make sure it’s specific store, not “All stores” for local (per store) attributes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Inline Media

Total Posts:  130
The Netherlands

Moshe - 05 November 2007 12:08 PM

The store dropdown in left top corner - make sure it’s specific store, not “All stores” for local (per store) attributes.

Dawn......you’re right.....I had this problem some time a go with categories as well.
But why is it possible to change a product name in the all stores, if this is never showed.
Maybe a user should select first the correct store before editing.

Strangly this “problem” only stands for editing the product name, because editing the description in all stores works.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

This affects only “local” attributes, so maybe in your setup description is a global attribute (the chainlink icon near the attribute) ?

It is possible to select the store in product grid, then it will be selected automatically in product edit page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

intensity

Total Posts:  48

Hi, I’m having this same problem running the current version 1.1.8, and I’m not sure if your instructions apply for this version.

I’m able to create a product in the admin and edit it without any problems, but any product that I imported using the DataFlow engine and a M$ XML speadsheet the name attribute will change in the backend but will not be shown in the frontend.  I’ve tried to understand the above instructions, but considering they were a year ago, I’m assuming the base functionality of the admin panel has changed a bit.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as obviously the inability to import data and edit it is a huge problem

TIA

Magento Community
Magento Community

intensity

Update, and I still need help.  I was able to modify the product names by adding the store field to my spreadsheet, but now I’m finding I cannot edit the descriptions which I could do before.  What the hell am I missing.  I keep reading about a store view popup in the upper lefthand corner, but I’m not seeing this and am running 1.1.8.  Has this changed since a previous version or is this an issue with my install.  I’m wasting an incredible amount of time trying to figure this out!  Please help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

intensity

Well I finally figured this out.  I think this is something that needs to be clarified in the documentation because this was not obvious at all.

In my environment I was running 1 store view.  With one store view you don’t get the view popup.  After adding another view in the store manager, I was able to see this popup.  I then discovered that the description variable was set to “store view”.  Setting this to global clears this up.  So for whatever reason if you have only one store view, any attributes that are set to “store view” will not update correctly, or at least that is my experience.  So they need to be set to global.  I wasted hours trying to figure this issue out, so hopefully someone can clear up the documentation a little bit to avoid this frustration.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacques Jocelyn

Total Posts:  11

Hi,
I am facing the same issue as Intensity
I am planning to use only one store view, and with Intensity’s feedback it seems that we need to create a second view in order to change the product title attribute.
It is a bit cumbersome to select the store view for each product that needs to be updated. Is there a way/trick to have a store view to be selected by default when updating product ?.

It this step is mandatory to update product attributes, I think this is a bug.

Please advise,
Thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

plx

Total Posts:  43

Thanks Intensity, I was having the same problem, and changing the Name attribute from “Store View” to “Global” fixed the wrong product names in the front end.

Thank you for clearing that up, as I too wasted way too much time figuring out why the back end was correct and the front end wasn’t!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian2

Total Posts:  59
Harrogate, North Yourshire, UK

I have read this thread but I am confused. I need to fix the product name in front end problem.

I have only one store which is named as “default” in the “store” field of the csv upload file.

Please could someone tell me exactly where in the admin menu system I need to go and what I need to change.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian2

Total Posts:  59
Harrogate, North Yourshire, UK

How can I change the name and descrition variables to global?

I only need one store view, but currently have a second so that I can select one required store and update the store specific variables, but this is combersome. I would prefer to have just one store view and one product name.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community