Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento support video for product display instead of a static image

DVD.Travel

Total Posts:  9

We sell DVD’s and digital films and would like to have the ability to show a preview clip of our films.  Can that be done off the shelf or do we need to modify the base magento.  I see that you can offer different size fixed images of a product, but instead of that have a video clip that can be shown.

I think many other folks woudl like to have the ability to show a flash video or someother video format of their product.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This functionality is not available with Magento out of box but can be achieved with some customization.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DVD.Travel

Total Posts:  9

Thanks for the quick answer.  My concern is that I want to minimize customizations to allow for ease of new release upgrades.  Can this be done without impacting future releases and at what cost?

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

@DVD.Travel: I agree with you - it would be nice if Magento allowed for both static images and video as a standard feature. Temporary I have solved this by adding video links to the TAB (in the product view). For your information, I use the Modern Theme template.

However other Magento users have solved this, by adding flashmovie: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7086/#t46919

Lets hope someone would make an extension for this, or give a more detailed explanation how to achieve it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

norbolig is correct, the best way to achieve this without compromising future upgrades is to properly package it as an extension (through Magento Connect) and to make sure this extension is up to date with the latest release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yooplaboom

Total Posts:  30

Hi,

I got a project now and my client wants that functionnality, any news (module or customization tips) about that ?

Thanks wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Yooplaboom - 27 November 2008 02:21 AM

Hi,

I got a project now and my client wants that functionnality, any news (module or customization tips) about that ?

Thanks wink

Place a request to me via PM, and I will work on a module for this sometime this week.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community