Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento not Magenta! 

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

Just happened to notice this article: Colourlovers.com T-mobile Owns Magenta… and wondered if it had anything to do with the name for Magento, does anyone know?

If I ever come up with anything worthile I may just Trademark me a whole friggin’ Color Palette… lol smile
I’ve been working on a few Here at ColourLovers!
Color Rules!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We specifically selected Magento (instead of Magenta) because of trademark issues. We felt is was safer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Go figure… I never would of guessed. It really has a ring to it, was just plain magento.com available, evidently not.
This is just a fun thread, I hope it doesn’t draw any heat from those b@$t@rds at you know where, lmao. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Magento.com was not available. In any case, we didn’t care much for the domain name - we don’t think it was that critical. People will know how to find us (thanks to Google).

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

That’s ridiculous.  I wouldn’t think you could trademark a specific color, especially not one as common as magenta.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Right, besides we wouldn’t want to draw any heat from the man… for using his color!
Still just kidding around, though it does seem funny. No use poking something in the eye with a stick as big a corporate as T-mobile prolly is.
Cheers to t-mobile.
In todays domain happy world it’s almost more memorable to just make up a word and run with it.
Too bad some poor kid’s gonna learn about Open Source software and think the color magenta is spelled…
M-A-G-E-N-T -Oh. Ha.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Julian Moors

Total Posts:  5

That’s just plain crazy. How can you trademark a colour? I reckon whoever approved that trademark didn’t see it among the T-Mobile marks/logos information. Whoever approved it deserves to be fired. Besides even Crayola wasn’t nasty enough to trademark all the crayon colours they have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Athravan81

Total Posts:  19

Do you remember the Centrino logo? Intel had to change it because of German Telecom. I’d like to have white (it contains all the other colors - tricky, huh?) ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mag Lance

Total Posts:  9

What about ‘The future’s bright, the future’s Orange (TM)’?

Magento Community
Magento Community

KonstantinDK

Total Posts:  47
Arlington, TX, USA

Walmart was trying to copyright the Smiley face grin
But could not.

Thanks god. Otherwise, we would all have to walk around with mean faces. long face

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4984138.stm

Magento Community
Magento Community

mytechfactory

Total Posts:  78
New York, NY

I thought that was the case why they changed the color from magenta to red. T-Mobile has been issuing notices to everyone who use’s there color, even engadget.com had to change the color http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/31/deutsche-telekom-t-mobile-demands-engadget-mobile-discontinue/
What was funny is that when they received the notice, many sites such as phonescoop.com, phonearea.com, and other sites changed there colors to magenta in an act of solidarity and to piss T-Mobile off http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/01/painting-the-town-magenta/

Magento Community
Magento Community

SEO Dave

Total Posts:  2

New to Magento (uploading the script for the first time now and killing time here) and I keep seeing/reading Magneto from the X-men comics, so I’m afraid I’ll be seeing a comic strip evil villain when I’m working with the script files grin)

Sheesh, my upload speed today is soooo slow.

David

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community