Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

difference between simple product with custom options and configurable products

Ahmed Abdelsalam

Total Posts:  14

i’m kind of new to magento and i noticed that v1.1 has custom options for simple products that the user can choose to configure what he wants, and there is a configurable product that need to use simple products to be configurable but at the frontend it gives the same result to me, is there something that i’m missing ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

As far as I can tell the main reason for the two methods is to handle two different kinds of products: physical products and virtual products.

Physical products should be created as configurable products as each option will have a unique SKU. This maps to the real world as your stock of Product X in red will be different to your stock of Product X in blue. In other words, each is really a distinct product that needs to be tracked separately but it’s more convenient for the customer if they view it as a just Product X and have options for red or blue.

Virtual products should be created as simple products with custom options as each option doesn’t need a SKU. Obviously you have no “stock” of virtual products (unless you handle licenses or something) so it doesn’t really matter if someone chooses a red or blue version of Product Y as there’s essentially an infinite number available of both.

Of course, I’m sure there are plenty of exceptions to this “rule of thumb” but I think it should give you a better idea of why both options are available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ahmed Abdelsalam

Total Posts:  14

nice, so if i need product to have options with same SKU i use simple product , and if i have options with different SKUs i use configurable..
thanks Chris ..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baseballtips

Total Posts:  83

So If I were to sell customizable bats that have around 55,000 possibilities for configuration, I would use custom options? It would take forever to creat 55,000 simple products to create a configurable product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quanza

Total Posts:  97
Tokyo, Japan

If you’re able to provide 55,000 baseball bat configurations, then you must be doing well enough to pay someone to create the 55,000 simple products smile

I know, someone should make a Mechanical Turk plugin for populating massive product variations!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bogislaw

Total Posts:  63

1. There is an extension for that, it’s called EasySKU.

2. Magento is built in such a way that it will load all 55,000 products and have it in the cache. It does not get the data per request, it gets it only as a whole. As you can imagine, 55,000 products on one page will break Magento. We tried to have a configurable with 9,500 and it didn’t work. 1,600 worked. The limit must be somewhere inbetween. It also depends on the power of the server, of course.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_big_man

Total Posts:  3

Hi

I need a module for Magento 1.4.1.1 that can help me sell a multiple products as a single product.
For example, I have a configurable product with many different colours and sizes, which will be sold with an accessory using Custom option. However, that accessory can also be bought separately as a single product and they share the quantity/
inventory.
So, a configurable product cost £30 and accessory cost +£10. And the accessory can be bought on its own as a single product for £15.
Obviously the accessory will have a SKU, and quantity is deducted automatically when either the configurable product was sold with accessory or the accessory has been sold as a single product mean its share the quantity/
inventory.
And quantity is incremented appropriately when an item is returned/refunded.
Also disabled a custom option on front end (hide checkbox or radio) when Out of stock.

Please help I am willing to pay for your time=)

Thank in advance

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community