Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing From Zen Cart or OsCommerce

Tony

Total Posts:  8
Seattle, WA

Has there been any plans to create a way to integrate product data from Zen Cart or OsCommerce? I think think this would be a great conversation to have. I have a Zen Cart store set up for a client and I feel it’s very clunky. I love Magento and I can’t wait for the 1.0 release of the product. I almost don’t want to take on any ecommerce contracts until Magento hits 1.0 or there is a beta release that I can use on a live site.

In spite of all that if there was a way to import from Zen Cart or OsCommerce that would completely rock! It would give me the ability to start the client out with Zen Cart and then when Magento hits 1.0 I could shift is operations to a better Ecommerce application.

Has anyone given this thought?

Thanks,
Tony

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Hello Tony!

We do plan on having an import engine for osCommerce (stay tuned for a preview of the import/export engine in next weeks release). This can be easily adapted to Zen Cart.

I almost don’t want to take on any ecommerce contracts until Magento hits 1.0 or there is a beta release that I can use on a live site.

We feel the same smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

One more thing I forget to mention - feel free to start a group (Magento Group) so that we can better interact on these topics (osCommerce import Group and Zen Cart Import Group)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tony

Seattle, WA

First off Roy. I have NEVER been to a forum where the replies are this fast! WOW! Awesome. With my marketing company I have noticed that customer service is the make or break of any account, any company, and any professional. Plus it’s the best way to get people talking about you.

I will start the group and Zen Cart, from what I have understood is a port of OsCommerce.

Now I know that you said it’s not advised to use this on a production site. Will next weeks release be okay to use a production site. I have a client that is not doing huge amounts or orders. Is it a security thing or is it that the code base could change greatly.

If you are creating the ability to import/export from OsCommerce does that come from the motivation that you know people are using your ecommerce solution on live sites and your wanting to create more of a conversion and adoption into your ecommerce solution?

Just curious. If by next week I could start using Magento on low key websites that would make me happy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

First off Roy. I have NEVER been to a forum where the replies are this fast! WOW! Awesome. With my marketing company I have noticed that customer service is the make or break of any account, any company, and any professional. Plus it’s the best way to get people talking about you.

Thanks Tony. We do our best smile

Now I know that you said it’s not advised to use this on a production site. Will next weeks release be okay to use a production site. I have a client that is not doing huge amounts or orders. Is it a security thing or is it that the quote base could change greatly.

We don’t think its ready yet. We still have a list of bugs we are going through and we are adding features with each release. I would hate for you to release a site and then have to spend the time updating the layout/features once the release is updated. We’ll get to a stable version soon smile

If you are creating the ability to import/export from OsCommerce does that come from the motivation that you know people are using your ecommerce solution on live sites and your wanting to create more of a conversion and adoption into your ecommerce solution?

We want to make it as easy as possible for people to migrate to Magento. This is an import aspect for us and we’ll do whatever we can to make it happen.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tony

Seattle, WA

sounds good. that’s what I thought.

Magento Community
Magento Community

coderXO

Total Posts:  3

Hi there,

I am trying to create a standalone script to import oscommerce orders.
i know there is a tool, but it creates new tables and places the orders there.

I need the orders to be imported into the normal magento tables for orders

I am particularly looking for (in the database tables) where the order info is stored
when an order is placed

the items
the shipping info
the billing info
the payment method
the shipping method
the shipping charge
the order total

per order, and the links (index,key) btw the tables i.e: something like order_id

thx,
ur help is much appreciated.
coderXO

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community