Magento Forum

How do I make a new store view direct to a specific product category upon selection? 

SP Gear

Total Posts:  10
Martinez, CA

Hello everyone,

I am building my website that will have multiple stores and what I would like for some of these stores once selected in the “Select Store” dropdown is for a specific category in the store to be displayed automatically. I would like to do this without having to create a static page block or using the CMS.  In the Magento Admin under System > Configuration > Web when I set up the store, the value in “Default web url” is “cms”.  I have searched the whole Magento site and I have not found any other possible values to assign to this box, but I suspect that I could assign a URL here that would direct to the category I would like.  Can someone assist me with this question?  Preferably… one of the developers, as there seems to be little to no description as to how this particular function works under “Default Pages”

Thanks in advance!

-brian

P.S.  Below is a link to my store.
http://store.spgear.net/

The link to my first store is in Select Store on the bottom titled “Concord High Football” and the link to the category I would like to appear upon selection of this store is listed below.
http://store.spgear.net/concordhighfootball/concordhighfootball/customer-stores/concord-high-football

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SP Gear

Martinez, CA

BUMP!

Has anyone figured this out?  Does anyone know any other values allowed for “Default web url” ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

SP Gear

Martinez, CA

BUMP

I’m still looking for a solution to this problem.  Nobody has been able to tell me what other values are acceptable for “Default web url” other than “cms” or if there is another way I should be attempting to do this. I have also sent private messages to people who are part of the Magento team to see if they could take a look at this posting and I have received no response.  Anyone?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

JenniferAslan

Total Posts:  20
Pacific Northwest

We added the LazzyMonks Blog to our site and set its path to /blog/. Then we put blog into the “Default web url” field in the Web tab of the System Configuration and the blog became our home page.  I think you can put pretty much anything in there as long as it’s a real path. We haven’t tried a whole bunch of different ones, but the blog one definitely worked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SP Gear

Martinez, CA

Thanks for your reply, Jennifer.  It would appear that what you say is true, and yet anything I try in this field always resolves to the default 401 page in the CMS.  I am really surprised that none of the developers have anything to say about this at all.  I am getting pretty frustrated with this and I am about to go and edit core files in order to make this work, though if one of the developers would provide more details about this part of the back-end, I am sure I won’t need to.

Magento Community
Magento Community

liamstask

Total Posts:  16

I’d love to hear of any solutions to this issue as well.  I’d like to set the default web url to a specific category, and have tried just about all the variations on the catalog url rewrites I could find, to no avail.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nickweisser

Total Posts:  218
Zurich, Switzerland

Same problem over here using Magento 1.1.5. Have you already found a solution to this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

Total Posts:  26

I too am looking for this information.  Come on Varien developers, how about a response?  If it’s not possible to set a category page as the default url, tell us so we can stop scratching our heads over this one!

Magento Community
Magento Community

elpas0

Total Posts:  19

+1
intrested in solution of this problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

The Sunday Paper

Total Posts:  202

I’d like to know, too. Has anyone learned anything about this since the last post in September?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pgpdesign

Total Posts:  41

I’m interested too. I whould like to use the root category as homepage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skyfex

Total Posts:  7

I have dived in to the code to try and figure this out. It appears that it’s not possible.

Basically it’s not capable of handling urls with more than three parts.. so you can set it to something like:
catalogsearch/term/popular/

but not
catalog/category/view/id/18

I can’t see any way of making it work without fixing the code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skyfex

Total Posts:  7

And I went ahead and made a fix:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=6168

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community