Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding categories

josemizr141

Total Posts:  1

Sorry i have read all the posts about adding new categories it but it doesn’t seems to be working for me
i follow step by step and it still doesn’t show in the front page even it said that the category has products

Can some one help me out with it

Thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Make sure all your categories are under the Default Category as shown in the attached picture.

Image Attachments
categories.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

punkstar

Total Posts:  27
Bath, UK

Magento has a multistore capability meaning that you could have multiple stores selling a multitude of different products from a single installation.  If you were in that situation then there would be a very high chance that you would need to seperate the products out across the stores so that your Mobile Phone store only sold mobile phones and didn’t contain products listings from your Kitchen Utensils store hosted on the same installation.

Best practice is to create a category in the root to contain all of the categories that you want to display on your store, you then set this category to be your store’s root category.  You do this by navigating to your administration area then “System” > “Manage Stores”, then click your store, e.g. “Main Website Store”.  You will be presented with some basic configurables about your store.  Set the “Root Category” to be the category that contains all of your store’s categories.

If you take a look at sherrie’s attached image then we know that she has set her “Root Category” to be “Default Category”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

punkstar is right - I just gave the abbreviated solution as the default store is set to Default Category without any changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lniederberger

Total Posts:  5

Make sure all your catagories are under the default category. It took me two days to figure that out.

You’ll then see the catagories on the top of the page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michal_s

Total Posts:  111
The Netherlands

punkstar: Thanks for this you helped me really out on this one!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community