Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Design Reference Material

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

I have read in other posts that Varien will not release psd’s for themes. I understand why.

The problem that I am having is not know what needs to be designed.
There are tons of views in magento - not all of which you will see unless you go through certain steps to get there.
And there are a lot of possibilities in that regards.

There are all kinds of customer pages, success pages, wishlist pages, compare pages, search.

It would be nice to be able to see all of the pages that need designing.

Screen shots of every single page would be a nice start.

Or course in order for them to be truly useful, the cart would have to be in a used state - meaning things would have to be in the cart, wishlist, compare list etc. Data would have to be in the customer admin pages so you could see orders, order histories and all of the other pages that are possible from the customers perspective.

It would also be awesome to have static html renderings of each page, both with template hints turn off and on.

Right now, if I wanted a designer (not a coder) to design a Magento theme, it would be really complicated because they would not know all the pages that need to be designed. I would also be afraid that something would get missed.

Has anyone put together anything like this? I might even be willing to pay for it if it was completely thorough.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi Mootrealm, I find Magento default theme is the great reference to dig in many hidden features. Probably the Modern theme too but I solely use default theme to learn designing for Magento

Either install it or use the demo, try adding products, run checkout and login to the admin to see how things are setup. It’s also very important to go through every files in the template folder.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

I know how to do all that, but it is tedious and it doesn’t give you a static reference.

For example - designing for the checkout process can mean going through the check out process a million times.

And it doesn’t solve the problem of having someone else design a theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Mootrealm - 23 July 2008 08:04 PM

I know how to do all that, but it is tedious and it doesn’t give you a static reference.

For example - designing for the checkout process can mean going through the check out process a million times.

And it doesn’t solve the problem of having someone else design a theme.

I copied and pasted the source code of opc, and modified it in static html

Magento Community
Magento Community

United Media Associates

Total Posts:  48

Mootrealm, I completely agree with you.  I’m in the middle of developing a Magento theme, and I’ve also wondered if there is a resource like this.  I’ve thought about creating one myself.  If I do, I’ll post a link to it here.

Erik Hansen
umassociates.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sander

Total Posts:  232
Netherlands

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Though I think for most designs if you have the homepage, catalog listing, product page, checkout page, customer account and cart view pages done, the blanks can be filled in pretty easily.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

You can also look at the images folder to see which images need replaced.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mountndew

Total Posts:  13

chinesedream - 23 July 2008 08:16 PM

I copied and pasted the source code of opc, and modified it in static html

chinesedream...can you modify the themes and skins both by doing this cut/paste/modify in static html? And can you tell me what “opc” is?
In case you can’t tell...I am VERY new to magento and any other shopping cart. This is my very first time. I have VERY little html knowledge but I really want to learn how to modify magento and make it look the way I want. I see a lot about xhtml? Is there a difference or is it a preference? I mean html/xhtml? 

Thank you so much for your help, cheese

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community