Magento Forum

Moving content from right column to left column. 

United Media Associates

Total Posts:  48

There are some pages where I want to move all content blocks from the right column into the left column.  I’m switching the 2-col-right template to the 2-col-left template on the “Product Details” page.  I know I can do this by adding a reference to the “left” column within the <catalog_product_view> tags in “layout/catalog.xml” for all the content blocks that are currently in the right column, like this: 

<catalog_product_view>
        <!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/product_list_related" name="catalog.product.related" before="-" template="catalog/product/list/related.phtml"/>
            <
block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" before="-" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml"/>
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
            <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
    </
catalog_product_view>
I would expect that there would be a tag like: 
<action method="moveLayoutContent" from="right"><reference>left</reference></action>
that would take all the content blocks from the “right” structural block and move them to the “left” structural block.  If any of you know a way to move content like this, I’d really appreciate your help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community