Magento Forum

Can’t change Cache settings

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

I receive the following error when I try to change the cache settings. I have a feeling it’s a permissions-based error. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Warningchmod() [function.chmod]Operation not permitted  in /home/mobiecom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php on line 944

#0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, 'chmod() [saveUseCache(Array)
#3 /home/mobiecom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(342): Mage_Adminhtml_System_CacheController->saveAction()
#4 /home/mobiecom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Admin.php(148): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('save')
#5 /home/mobiecom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(146): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Admin->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#6 /home/mobiecom/public_html/app/Mage.php(427): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#7 /home/mobiecom/public_html/index.php(46): Mage::run()
#8 {main}

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

erict

Total Posts:  31

Looks like magento may not have write permissions to the cache directory.  My recommendation would be to make sure either the user or group magento is running as has write permission for whichever dir it’s trying to chmod (try the cache dir if you can’t tell from the code; it’s not obvious in mine, don’t know if that’s a version difference or what).

The user is probably apache:apache or www-data:www-data, something like that, depending on what you’re running—try `ps aux | grep apache` assuming that’s your web server to find out the user it’s running as, which should be all the way on the left.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Total Posts:  304
Switzerland

First you need /app/etc/ directory writable. If this will not work you can try deleting /app/etc/use_cache.ser and Magento will create new one for you. This worked for one of our stores when we migrated to new dedicated server.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community