Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable products forget your choices

j.morell

Total Posts:  23

Having set up a few test products on a store including a configurable product with more than one option, have found that every time I change one of my selection options, the shop ‘forgets’ the other option I have already chosen.

I can’t see any way of changing this on the back end at all, and It’s pretty frustrating from a users point of view - it means more button clicks…

Has anyone else come across this problem (or even set up configurable products with more than one option!) and found a way round it?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

The way it was designed to work is when a selection is made all dependent selections get updated with the new selection options.

if you look at this example on the demo store, you will see that color is dependent on size. Not all colors are available for all sizes. So when selecting a size the ‘Color’ select gets updated with the available colors for that size.

I would think that a customer will be more frustrated with ‘guessing’ what options are available and making selections only to find out that this selection is not available.

After some research, and from our experience, we got to a conclusion that this default behaviour will be a solution that will have the most value for the different stores. This ,for now, can be changed by writing some custom code, but not through a configuration value from the admin.

I am sure that down the road, once more custom design packages are created, that some design packages would behave differently.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

j.morell

Total Posts:  23

Hi Yoav,

That makes sense when it’s explained like that! I can change the optins around in our store so that the one that’s least likely to be changed appears first.

On a related issue, is there any way of setting configurable files up so that two variables have an influence on overall price? For example if you select option A in configurable box 1 the prices in configurable box 2 are different from if you selected option B in box 1?

Any ideas on how to do this would be really useful.

Thanks,

James

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community