Magento Forum

Custom Home page

ramedia

Total Posts:  70

Hello,

I understand how to edit the content area of the home page, but is there was way to alter the layout of the entire page (header, footer, search box etc...) just for the home page?  I’m using the Modern template.  In other words, what is the condition I would use to check for home page so I can create an if/then on the 1column.phtml page?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

notzippy

Total Posts:  63

look on the second tab when you are editing the home page

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

notzippy - 22 July 2008 11:50 AM

look on the second tab when you are editing the home page

Hello,
I looked at that.  That only deals with stuff in the content area of the home page.  The search bar, top links bar etc… are not defined here.  They are defined on the 1column.phtml page of the template.  I’m trying to find out how to check for page so I can write a condition.  Do you know if something like $page=’home’ is defined, or how to check for page?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

My solution was to create a new file 1coulmn.phtml (this is the style I use for the home page.) and place it in a new theme directory structure:

/app/design/frontend/default/modernalt/template/page/1column.phtml

The I go in the admin, and first I need to make the “modern” template (which is the template my site is using) the “default” template for the site. 

System> configuration> Current Configuration Scope: (used default config - top level)> design (left column)> themes (accordion tab): default: modern, template: modern.

Now the “modern” template is the real default template in heiarchy. 

Then assign the new modified page: /app/design/frontend/default/modernalt/template/page/1column.phtml to the home page.

CMS> manage pages> choose: home page> custom design (tab left)> custom theme choose: modernalt.

This will assign only this page to the home page, and everything else will default to the modern them (now the default theme.)

I write this to help anyone who is experiencing a similar need to completely customize the home page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Login as admin in the magento demo hosted by magentocommerce. Navigate to CMS->Manage Pages. Edit the home page and see how the layout is coded there. I think that may give you an idea.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ramedia

You can only mange the content area of the page from the admin.  I’m talking about delivering an entirely different page (whole page, not just the content area… header, top links, logo, etc...) for the home page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Administrator

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Have you considered reading the Magento Designer’s Guide. That should give you an idea of how to begin changing the layout and look and feel of the site.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community