Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

is it just me or is the magento forum community dead? 

eliteeternity

Total Posts:  74

What could Magento do to spur community involvement? I’m in no way trying to say that magento doesn’t kick ass, cause it does, but there needs to be something to get the smart developers on the forums and answering all of our (my) nooby questions. Most aren’t so nooby.
Take this for what it’s worth.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

activeebiz

Total Posts:  11

Well, my guess is that the community is just not large enough yet....

But give it some time, and then maybe.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

eliteeternity

Total Posts:  74

Mercy...at least two people replied to this thread. Come on Magento! Answer my questions!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyteckit

Total Posts:  166
Los Angeles, CA

Problem with hype and not living up to the hype.

Major problem with Magento v1.0 was that it was buggy and slow.  I mean really slow and resource intensive. 

It wouldn’t matter how cool or how awesome a shopping cart is, if it’s too slow and too resource intensive.  Even if it’s free.  It’s end up costing the e-store owner to lose too much money in lost sales.

The other problem is that if you want any customization, you need to be a programmer and a web designer.  Many here aren’t. 

I didn’t even bother messing with Magento v1.0.  However with v1.1, I’m starting to play around with it.  I kinda like it.  Hell, I might even start to love it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WackyWebs.net

Total Posts:  13

This is what I said on the CI forums about the Magento forums:

The other day when I was having problems with Magento, I signed up and asked my question on their forum. Seeing that they had nearly 50 members online I thought I would get a quick response but no. I still haven’t got a response from anyone, lucky I kept digging at the problem myself and fixed it with out any of their community support.

The CI forums response times are brilliant in comparison, as if I ask a question on here I will normally get a reply within an hour of posting. Even with less concurrent members online, I get a better and more thorough reply.

Well done CI community, you are much more helpful than the magento forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

on top of that in summer fora tend to be less active then the other seasons.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

I agree with you that the team members post less nowadays. Not sure whether it has anything to do with their professional support package.
I am actually trying to help as much people as possible in solving their commonly faced problems but I think users should also use the search feature before posting a question as some of the questions have been posted and resolved several times.

Magento Community
Magento Community

clorne

Total Posts:  236
London

Reading through the forum, I am struck by the sheer ignorance and laziness of some users—such questions as:

“I have uploaded Magento and I’m getting a blank page.  Has anyone a solution?” Do they expect an answer?

Why should the development team waste their precious time?  Why should anyone?

If people want answers they must at a minimum give the Magento version and their OS and when presenting a problem describe the circumstances.

It should go without saying that previous postings be checked but so very many questions are asked without any evidence that this has been done. So the same problem turns up time and time again. Who is going to spend time answering the same question?

Non-English speakers excepted, some of the questions are so badly worded as to be incomprehensible.  How can a reply be expected?

Magento is an Open Source programme for web developers who have some working knowledge of PHP, ZF, Java etc.  Without this basic knowledge anyone wanting to use the system should seek paid-for professional help.

The team seem to be keeping up with any properly posted bug reports; as for the rest I think they should concentrate on the programme itself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

Total Posts:  76

clorne - 28 July 2008 12:47 AM

Reading through the forum, I am struck by the sheer ignorance and laziness of some users—such questions as:

“I have uploaded Magento and I’m getting a blank page.  Has anyone a solution?” Do they expect an answer?

Why should the development team waste their precious time?  Why should anyone?

If people want answers they must at a minimum give the Magento version and their OS and when presenting a problem describe the circumstances.

It should go without saying that previous postings be checked but so very many questions are asked without any evidence that this has been done. So the same problem turns up time and time again. Who is going to spend time answering the same question?

Non-English speakers excepted, some of the questions are so badly worded as to be incomprehensible.  How can a reply be expected?

Magento is an Open Source programme for web developers who have some working knowledge of PHP, ZF, Java etc.  Without this basic knowledge anyone wanting to use the system should seek paid-for professional help.

The team seem to be keeping up with any properly posted bug reports; as for the rest I think they should concentrate on the programme itself.

hi i haz problumz ken u hellp fizx?

kthxk!

I agree, the community has died down a bit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

ahh so true.

There used to be alot more action in the forums.

I have a very important question which I have not been able to find an answer to. It is very fustrating.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/13379/

People can order configurable products when they are out of stock. I have not had a clear answer if this is my problem or a Magento problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jimmy G

Total Posts:  20

It’s dead.  I’ve posted many threads and got no answers.  I’ve lost alot of my excitement over Magento.  I upgraded and now my store is all screwed up.  I don’t have the skills to fix.  I don’t understand why they don’t make a new install.  So I sit witha broken store.

I post here and no one answers.  Here’s some of my empty threads:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/11444/

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/12438/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/11835/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5138/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6498/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/8442/

It sure isn’t much fun composing posts and getting no answers and nowhere on my project.  What is so great about magento again?  No community help, broken installs....???

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community