Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to set Featured products and show them on Homepage

mag2008

Total Posts:  9

Hello

I read this page about Featured products.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how_to_create_a_featured_product

I want to know how to set Featured products and show them on Homepage.
Could you tell me how?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Total Posts:  69
Osijek, Croatia

Hi Mag,

Try to read this post:
http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/featured-products-on-magento-frontpage/

Image Attachments
featured_products.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

mag2008

Hi Tomislav.

Thank you for your response..
I tried that but it didnt work.

Have you tired that? It worked?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Osijek, Croatia

Yes, I did try it. Take a look at the frontpage:
http://dev10.surgeworks.net/products/

I just noticed I made some flaw while writing Step 4. Can you please update your Magento with new Step 4 and tell me if it works smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

mag2008

OH cool website.

Where should I create a file for Step 3??

< ?php
class MyCompany_Mage_Page_Block_Html extends Mage_Page_Block_Html
{
public function getFeaturedProductHtml()
{
return $this->getBlockHtml(’product_featured’);
}
}

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Osijek, Croatia

Sorry, you are correct.

You add that in:
app/code/local/MyCompany/Page/Block/Html.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikkstocks

Total Posts:  47

You could always do it this way:

create a new category called “Home Featured” under the Root (so it doesn’t appear on the menu bar).

Make a note of what category number it is by hovering over it with the mouse and looking at the link that appears in the bottom left of Firefox / IE - here mine is number 42

Then you add the products you want on the front page to this category

Make a copy of app/design/frontend/../template/catalog/product/list.phtml in the catalog/products directory and name it home.phtml (or whatever you want)

add the line below to your homepage where you want the products to appear, replacing ‘42’ with your category number and ‘home.phtml’ with whatever you named the copy of list.phtml you made

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="42" template="catalog/product/home.phtml"}}

et voila, as many or as few products as you want on your frontpage, in the order you define in the category options. Remember to customize home.phtml to look the way you want to. no mess, and no messing with files you don’t need to

See the attached pic for mine so far, took 5 mins to do that. just got to make it all level

Image Attachments
Image2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

mag2008

Hey nikkstocks
Thanks for your message.
What an easy way! I tried that and it worked. Thank you.

And also Tomislav Thank you for helping me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alessandro Perrone

Total Posts:  13

Tomislav Bilic - 22 July 2008 11:45 AM

Hi Mag,

Try to read this post:
http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/featured-products-on-magento-frontpage/

I’ve tried your tutorial (and it seems really cool and useful), I think that I’ve done all the steps in the right order, but nothing appears on my Home Page…

The only step where I think I’m a little confused is the one about the app/etc/local.xml file, but I think I did it right.

I added the block in my home page through the admin panel:

{{block type=”catalog/product_featured” name=”product_featured” as=”product_featured” template=”catalog/product/featured.phtml}}

Nothing.

My home page is blank, no featured products…

Please, give me a hand!

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

pastanislas

Total Posts:  46

create a new category called “Home Featured” under the Root (so it doesn’t appear on the menu bar).

Make a note of what category number it is by hovering over it with the mouse and looking at the link that appears in the bottom left of Firefox / IE - here mine is number 42

Make a copy of app/design/frontend/../template/catalog/product/list.phtml in the catalog/products directory and name it home.phtml (or whatever you want)

add the line below to your homepage where you want the products to appear, replacing ‘42’ with your category number and ‘home.phtml’ with whatever you named the copy of list.phtml you made

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="42" template="catalog/product/home.phtml"}}

et voila, as many or as few products as you want on your frontpage, in the order you define in the category options. Remember to customize home.phtml to look the way you want to. no mess, and no messing with files you don’t need to

See the attached pic for mine so far, took 5 mins to do that. just got to make it all level

Woo, works perfect with 1.1.3 you can even enclose it in a static block, a real piece of cake with your method smile
Many many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

marcM

Total Posts:  7

nikkstocks - 26 July 2008 02:35 PM

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="42" template="catalog/product/home.phtml"}}

This works great.  Only problem I have is my list only displays 5,10,15 products (as set in the toolbar).  What do I need to do in home.phtml so getLoadedProductCollection() return ‘all’ products just for this page?

Magento Community
Magento Community

carlosrob4

Total Posts:  67

Used this advance featured products magento extension to set products / item at homepage and chose any layout of product display available in the product options.
View Demo

Magento Community
Magento Community

makarovsoft

Total Posts:  27

To show featured products in cms page or static block i would recommend my Products Landing Pages extension.

See details at Products Landing Pages extension page

You can select which products to show in block and also create seo friendly url with list or products and seo text above and below products selection.

View some examples as screenshots attached to this post or check it live at
CMS page with 2 blocks of products
Featured products shown above category products
Products By Conditions

Image Attachments
landing-cms-page[1].pnglanding-layered-default[1].pnglanding-diff-layout-image[1].png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase007
Guru

Total Posts:  388

Hi,

You should also have a look this thread http://web-developers-solution.blogspot.in/2012/07/how-to-show-featured-products-on-home.html

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community