Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Cart price rule: x of one item type free when ordering x of another type [UPDATE: No resolution possible]

erict

Total Posts:  31

Hey all -
I’m a developer and am new to Magento.  The client I’m working with presented the following scenario:

When a user buys any item of type A, they should be able to choose an item of type B and receive it for free.  If they order 2 of type A (whether they’re the same item or not), they should receive 2 of type B for free (again, whether the same or different items of that type).

Type A is defined by category; type B is defined by a list of SKU’s.

We’ve been working with this for a while and can’t seem to make Magento do this; we can generate vaguely similar behavior (nothing close enough to be usable), but the fact that different quantities of items and different items must be taken into account seems to be throwing us off.  It’s not an option to make them packages, unfortunately, as this will be required periodically for different types.

It’s fallen to me to either generate a working sales rule or extend Magento to handle this case.  I very badly want to avoid the latter; does someone more familiar with the relevant conditions have advice on creating sales rules to accomplish this?

Thank you!
Eric

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

erict

I think this topic was poorly-phrased…

Essentially, I need “buy one get one free,” except it’s buy one of this, get one of that (and needs to work with quantities greater than or equal to 1).

Has anyone managed this?  Devs, is this possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

erict

OK… after identifying the code that’s (basically) applying the shopping cart rules, for the information of anyone else who happens to be struggling with this, it appears the shopping cart rules are applied by item, not by order.  So this relatively simple task is something Magento simply cannot accomplish; they’re not actually shopping cart price rules, they’re shopping cart item price rules, which severely limits their utility (and the inflexible nature of the query options in the admin interface now makes sense).

I’ll be writing (yet another) custom admin module and (once again) modifying core functionality (hopefully using the observer system, if there’s a useful event listener) to do something that should be relatively simple, since I’ve looked into modifying the sales rules and (like working with most of Magento) the code is so ridiculously distributed as to be obfuscated.

No documentation, no useful code comments, very little action on show-stopping bugs, virtually no useful developer feedback in the forum.  I’m honestly not sure how you expect third party dev shops to use this software, unless the whole point is to lure us into sinking money into your paid services, which is a VERY shady way to conduct yourselves as part of the open source community.

Magento Community
Magento Community

moritz_a

Total Posts:  11

We have the same Problem.

Our customer wants to offer an Item B for free or on a reduced price when an Item A is added to cart (or viewed). We played around with “buy x - get y free”, bundle products and pricing rules with discounts - with no satisfying outcome yet.

Basically, we need something like exact “related products” or cross-selling / up-selling relations, but with the abilty to specify a benefit for the customer (like discount or for free) when he follows the upsell. I wonder if nobody has done this yet?

Creating Bundle Products is a poor option, for two reasons: First, the best match for our product lines is the Grouped Products (because we offer different versions of the same Item with different prices in one detail view), second, switching a simple or grouped product into a bundle product is not possible on-the-fly - you have to delete and re-create the Product from scratch.

Any suggestions?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

evisboy

Total Posts:  65
Washington, DC

@Erict—have you been able to create the code to augment the functionality to allow better shopping cart rules? I would be interested in it as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

moritz_a - 20 August 2008 01:37 PM

Our customer wants to offer an Item B for free or on a reduced price when an Item A is added to cart. We played around with “buy x - get y free”, bundle products and pricing rules with discounts - with no satisfying outcome yet.
Any suggestions?!

I suggest to use the Special Promotions extension, as it allows to give item(s) for free or with discount when certain conditions are met. It works fine for rules like “Buy one get one free”, “Buy 3 items and get the most expensive for the half” and so on.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community