Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Dependent attributes with user input (square foot pricing)

dreamdust

Total Posts:  2

I’m interested in Magento for use as a storefront for a digital print company. I would need to create a product with a price based on square feet. The customer would enter a width and height, and the price would be based on how many square feet this is. In addition, the customer would be able to select drop-down options that applied a percentage to the custom square foot price. Is anything like this possible in Magento?

For example, a customer would be able to enter in a custom size for a printed banner, instead of choosing set sizes. The customer would be able to choose options for the banner such as pole pockets or hanging hardware, and those options’ price would be based on the custom size as well.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

This feature does not exist as an ‘out-of-the-box’ feature. This can be done through some custom coding. We are, how ever, looking at adding some time next year some features like complement and required items when buying a product.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

dreamdust

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ve had to hack the feature into my site that uses Zen Cart, and it has been a nightmare because Zen Cart is not modular enough. Honestly, even without that feature out-of-the-box I can’t wait to use Magento for my clients. I’m eager to change over my current project from Zen Cart to Magento as soon as a more stable and complete version is released.

Magento Community
Magento Community

monewton

Total Posts:  5
Florida, USA

I need this functionality also.  Where would the custom code be placed?

Magento Community
Magento Community

PierMarketing

Total Posts:  77

I am interested in this feature.  I have seen a couple of forum posts but nothing that I can follow that well.

Is this a feature yet.  I would love to ditch my ZenCart store and use Magento but this is the only thing holding me back!

Any info would be great!

Magento Community
Magento Community

talofo

Total Posts:  35

Depended Drop box Attributes is already available on 1.1.4 ?

Thanks a lot,
Talofo

Magento Community
Magento Community

talofo

I do have the same question. I’m using 1.1.4. Is this feature availble? If so, where can I find doc. about how to apply it ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dada21

Total Posts:  28

I run a digital print shop at vipministry.com and we actually had this code for about 5 days.  What we did was place a javascript app that just let them use drop downs to pick the size, and it stuck the total square footage in the quantity field for the material.  Worked fine, but I didn’t like it so I removed it.

The code took my programmer about 2 hours to create, was fairly easy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

talofo

Thanks for the Reply. Unfortunly I’m not a programmer and I’ve not the money to hire one. Anyway, I’m able to learn and write some code if I must to. But, for that, I need documentation. And there is no documentation. :(

Thanks anyway for your reply dada21.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brokenseal

Total Posts:  9

Hi everyone.

I am working on a similar project for a small print company and I found myself stuck in a problem similar to yours.
I’m a developer and I wrote this piece of code to help me sort things out:

options_80_text = square meters field
options_78_text = width field
options_79_text = height field

var mq0;
$(
'options_80_text').disable();

function 
respondToChange(event{
    mq
Math.ceil(($('options_78_text').getValue() * $('options_79_text').getValue()) / 10000) ;

$(
'options_80_text').setValue(mq);
}
$('options_78_text').observe('change'respondToChange);
$(
'options_79_text').observe('change'respondToChange);

I put this at the end of the product page and every time the customer changes width or height of the product, the field called “Square meters” changes as well.

Now, my problem is that i’m not being able to reflect this in the final price because the customer can change the price per square meters depending on the material.

For example, if the customer chooses forex 2mm (16 euros x square meter) and the total amount of square meter is 2, the final price would be 32 euros.

Anyone has done that yet? Any suggest?

Magento Community
Magento Community

QuadraVis

Total Posts:  82
D - Erbach

Hi brokeseal,

could you explain it to me a little bit more in detail where you placed the code in?
I could not realize how you put the calculated price in.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Flopy69

Total Posts:  124
Lyon

brokenseal - 09 October 2008 05:03 AM

Hi everyone.

I am working on a similar project for a small print company and I found myself stuck in a problem similar to yours.
I’m a developer and I wrote this piece of code to help me sort things out:

options_80_text = square meters field
options_78_text = width field
options_79_text = height field

var mq0;
$(
'options_80_text').disable();

function 
respondToChange(event{
    mq
Math.ceil(($('options_78_text').getValue() * $('options_79_text').getValue()) / 10000) ;

$(
'options_80_text').setValue(mq);
}
$('options_78_text').observe('change'respondToChange);
$(
'options_79_text').observe('change'respondToChange);

I put this at the end of the product page and every time the customer changes width or height of the product, the field called “Square meters” changes as well.

Now, my problem is that i’m not being able to reflect this in the final price because the customer can change the price per square meters depending on the material.

For example, if the customer chooses forex 2mm (16 euros x square meter) and the total amount of square meter is 2, the final price would be 32 euros.

Anyone has done that yet? Any suggest?

Thank you for your code, no news about the problem of the price?

Magento Community
Magento Community

webmastermagento

Has anybody created a plugin to calculate the price acc. to square metres/foot?

Hope someone can help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rkiss

Total Posts:  13

I am looking for the same solution....is there a solution to this feature?

Thanks

Roman

Magento Community
Magento Community

micosolutions

Total Posts:  20
Southern California, USA

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/squarefoot/extension/4585/simple_square_foot_pricing

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community