Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why is it so big? 

Murat_TR

Total Posts:  11

I have just seen magento. And i am surprised with the size of the download package. It is around 50 mb. I also analyzed “zencart” and “oscommerce” Their download packs are comparatively quite smaller than the magento pack. So what makes it so bigger. All the content should be uploaded to the web for a full installation?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

moonlord

Total Posts:  42

There is a product database integrated into the full-package that includes a lot of high resolution pictures. If you don’t need that database you could download the version without products included, which is only 8.3 MB

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Yup.  The images are the reason for such a wide load.  Like moonlord said, download the lite version and your site will come in well under weight.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community