Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Related Products - attribute view on product page

mpernkopf

Total Posts:  21

Hy there,

i got a few questions concerning the related products functionality and the view task on product detail page.

N° 1) Related products

I don’t know if i completely understand the functionality so far because while evaluating Magento there were a few
things confusing me.
- cross selling articles are not shown on every product detail page (of couse those products where there are cross selling articles defined)
- different view of related products: comparison of f.ex the Magento Red Furniture Set and the Sony Vaio VGN (where i defined a related product in admin section)
-> Furniture Set => Related products are shown directly besides the product image)
-> Sony Vaio VGN => Related products are shown in the Related products box on the right side

(i attached 2 Screenshots).

what i figured out meantime: is the product type responsible for wether showing related products (better associated products as defined in admin section) in product detail page or as right aligned box?

So, what would be the correct ‘way’ to make the Sony Vaio VGN detail page look similar to the Red Furniture Set detail page (with the related products box directly in product description)? Change the product type (if possible)?

N° 2) Product detail page (i think, this question will be obsolete if N° 1 found a solution).

another confusing thing for me here is the different product detail view, and i couldn’t figure out why these 2 articles are presented differently

N° 3) ‘Advanced related articles’

Is there a way to show the attributes of configurable products in the related products box in product detail page?
What i mean is following:

I got f.ex a category names ‘ABC Sets’ (these are sets for diving and snorcheling consisting of mask, snorchel and fins) and create there grouped articles f.ex. ‘Set Cressi’ where i define mask, snorchel and fins as associated products.
If customers now want to buy this set with one click (adding all 3 items to cart at once) they would get a problem, because the fins would be a configurable item, so it would not be automatically added to cart (because there will f.ex. be an attribute size (S, L, XL, XXL) which customer has to define on fins product detail page and then add to cart).

So - (as a feature request) - is there a way to show an attribute of a configurable product in the associated box (as in Magento furniture (see picture)), so that the size of the fins can be choosen (via drop-down) and following add to cart with one click on the ‘Add to cart’ button without detour over fins detail page defining the size there.

Best regards,

Michael

P.s.: i am evaluating Magento only a few days until yet (with some ups and downs (with version 1.0.19870 and 1.1, and the performance problem which i already could minimize a little bit)) and i am very glad having it found.
I am normally attended to a commercial shop system (maintaining and developing) called Omeco (prices see their homepage <= hint: it’s not that cheep wink ) but as i saw, “commercial products’ mandatory professionality” need not be better than open sources’. :D
So, excellent work of Magento team

Image Attachments
red_furniture_related.jpgsony_vaio_related.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mpernkopf

Total Posts:  21

mpernkopf - 19 July 2008 11:29 PM

Hy there,

[...]

Hy,

with some more evaluation i figured out N°1 and N°2;
Only N°3 is pending - “showing the attributes of a configurable product on a grouped product detail page” -.
My idea is to show some of the configurable attributes an product detail page. The attributes could be hidden
per default and after clicking f.ex on a down-arrow icon the attributes are shown and can be selected.
At the moment it is very unhandy buying configurable products if one of the products has f.ex a custom attribute,
shopping cart then says, that there is a product which has an additional attribute to configure, so you have to
remove the item from shopping cart, search for the product, configure the attribute and readd it to shopping cart.
For usability reasons this would be a very nice functionality.

Best regards,

Z

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community