Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

[SOLVED]New Install - Backend Menus not working - Front End Buttons Not working

bmasella

Total Posts:  4

I just found Magento and had a bit of trouble installing using the downloader… seems as if in my installation it doesn’t like the index.php file to have permissions of 666 which is what the downloader applied to them.  As soon as I change it to 644 the downloader install worked just fine all the way until I get to the end and find that if I select to go to the front end the sample data site is there (I installed the SQL and media ahead of time) but I can’t press the Add to Cart button.  I get an error message in the browser about an Object being expected… If I go to the backend none of the menus build so I can see the menu bar across the top but hovering on them does absolutely nothing so the options needed for setup and configuration are entirely inaccessible.

I know I must have done something wrong somewhere… I’m just not sure where....  magento-check.php ran just fine and everything was good there....

I suspect that I may be having a problem with my host - hostmonster since they do not allow modifications to php in the .htaccess file… apparently I have to put a php.ini file into each and every directory where I run php scripts.... If this is the case how could I go about diagnosing it, and what should I be putting into the php.ini file?

Any help or suggestions that anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

I think the problem lies with your permissions.
Try to set every file to 644 and every directory to 755. Also, use 777 for app/etc , var , and media.

For more information, please look at this wiki: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/magento_installation_guide

Magento Community
Magento Community

lindaw

Total Posts:  201

This just happened to me yesterday. Did you manage to fix it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmasella

This appears to be right… the concern that I have is that the downloader install programs doesnt do this… there are literally thousands of files that could potentailly need to be touched…

I fixed all of those in the root directory as you suggested and then started at the top and started working my way down… Got as far as the js folder and realized it would take me hours… wen’t back and reloaded the admin page and I now have menus… Not sure what file or folder I changed that caused the result.

I haven’t been able to find a detailed list of what should be set on the files… I’m concerned about permissions and security now and the number of hours that I still have left to change files and folders on all remaining directories.

Surely there must be a better way?  Is there a specific reason the downloader doesn’t sent the correct permissions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Tampa, FL

You can always contact your host for help in changing this permissions.

Changes:-
All Directories: 755
All Files: 644
Specific files/directories (/app/etc, /var, and /media): 777 (If your current server has suphp configured, you’ll need to use 755 for these as well.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmasella

So is this a problem with the downloader?  When I was originally doing the install I had an index.php in my root folder that had permissions of 644 when the downloader finished with the download the permissions were changed to 666 and the installation started throwing Internal Server Errors.... I changed it to 644 and the install continued. 

If I were to just do the install myself (download, uncompress, FTP, etc) would I NOT have the permission problems?  I don’t want to wait for my host to get around to changing permissions on files and I’m looking for the easiest way to do this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Tampa, FL

No it is not the problem with the downloader. The same thing happens with the .zip file.
Your host should be able to change the permissions without any hassle as they have SSH access. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmasella

Just found an extension built for this problem… Fooman Fix for Non-Working Admin Menus - The author suggested looking at the js/proxy.php file as the culprit in his description and he was absolutely correct.  If I change the permission of this file back to 666 as the downloader installed it, the menus are gone.  Change it to 644 and the menus are back.

Thanks all for the help…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community