Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Add Footer Links to Main Navigation

Darren E

Total Posts:  54
The Woodlands, Texas

Hi all - I’m running a relatively simple store and my client wants the site to have “customer service, about us, and contact” on the same line as the product navigation.

http://boardbookalbums.com/

What’s the easiest way to tackle this issue?

I’m afraid of messing things up after finally getting things to work so far.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

shir

Total Posts:  37
Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

I’ve seen a few complicated ways to do this and I’m no programmer, so I also didn’t want to mess things up.

Here’s what I did…

First I created Static Blocks - About Us, Customer Service, Returns and Replacements, and so on, with standard HTML of what I wanted in there.

Categories aren’t just for products.

I created a Category called Help & Info (parent is Root Category).
Display mode: Static Block Only.
For that static block, I put in the Footer Links static block for now, but I will create another static block with relevant info.
Then I created several categories under Help & Info with the same principle. They’re called: About Us, Customer Service, Sizing and so on.

For each one:
Display mode: Static Block Only
Choose the static block you want (one of the ones you’ve created for this purpose).
Go to Custom Design and choose how you want the page to look - 2 col left/right, 3 col etc.

What you’ll then see is a pull-down menu of all the “categories/static blocks” you just added. I did mine as a pull-down menu because I’m expecting to have several main product categories showing up in the menu and I thought that eventually I wouldn’t have enough room.

If you want each static block to show as a separate menu option, then create them all under the Root Category, or look for a post here called “Home Button Hack” and use that principle to add links to your CMS pages. That’s how I did mine originally but they took up too much room on the menu (too many pages).

I hope all that makes sense.

Sue

Magento Community
Magento Community

John Josef

Total Posts:  10

I’m not exactly sure where you want to add those links, but you can just hardcode the links into any phtml file. Since those links probably don’t change very often there’s not much of a point in making them dynamic.

In your theme you’ll want to edit certain files such as:
/template/page/html/toplinks.phtml

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren E

The Woodlands, Texas

shir - 18 July 2008 08:16 AM

I’ve seen a few complicated ways to do this and I’m no programmer, so I also didn’t want to mess things up.

Here’s what I did…

First I created Static Blocks - About Us, Customer Service, Returns and Replacements, and so on, with standard HTML of what I wanted in there.

Categories aren’t just for products.

I created a Category called Help & Info (parent is Root Category).
Display mode: Static Block Only.
For that static block, I put in the Footer Links static block for now, but I will create another static block with relevant info.
Then I created several categories under Help & Info with the same principle. They’re called: About Us, Customer Service, Sizing and so on.

For each one:
Display mode: Static Block Only
Choose the static block you want (one of the ones you’ve created for this purpose).
Go to Custom Design and choose how you want the page to look - 2 col left/right, 3 col etc.

What you’ll then see is a pull-down menu of all the “categories/static blocks” you just added. I did mine as a pull-down menu because I’m expecting to have several main product categories showing up in the menu and I thought that eventually I wouldn’t have enough room.

If you want each static block to show as a separate menu option, then create them all under the Root Category, or look for a post here called “Home Button Hack” and use that principle to add links to your CMS pages. That’s how I did mine originally but they took up too much room on the menu (too many pages).

I hope all that makes sense.

Sue

Sue, thank you!

This seems to be a simple option that is non-destructive to my pages. I appreciate your help! Now my client can get what they want without having to jump through hoops on my end!

Magento Community
Magento Community

shir

I’m happy to help. Mostly I’m floating around here trying to find answers myself.

The way I described is really is easy, isn’t it? No programming knowledge required. You don’t even need to know HTML if you do the info pages in ExpressionWeb or Dreamweaver, then copy/paste.

I’ve actually spent much of today putting lots of info in as Static Blocks and adding each one to a ‘category’. And of course, they end up in my pull-down menu. I’m very pleased with the result and how easy it was.

If anyone else wants to do this and doesn’t quite get the method the way I described it, maybe seeing the result will help - http://www.khoshtex.com/estore then look at the Help and Info menu.

Cheers…
Sue

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren E

The Woodlands, Texas

shir - 19 July 2008 03:31 AM

I’m happy to help. Mostly I’m floating around here trying to find answers myself.
The way I described is really is easy, isn’t it? No programming knowledge required. You don’t even need to know HTML if you do the info pages in ExpressionWeb or Dreamweaver, then copy/paste.

Cheers…
Sue

Yes, thanks again for this tid-bit of information. Magento has a relatively steep learning curve if you are used to Dreamweaver’s “drag and drop” features - I’m glad that I’m kind of 3/4 coding by hand and 1/4 drag and drop. ( http://boardbookalbums.com is my site being worked on ) and the whole concept of learning how things work in Magento are quite nice…

...Once you overcome the learning hurdle(s).

Works great and I think I like this method!

Magento Community
Magento Community

benfrain.com

Total Posts:  142

Hi Sue, thanks for this info. It works great. I now have a Help and Info section as I wanted with various CMS pages linked.

However, I want to add a link in there for ‘Contact Us’ - linking to the standard contact form and also a ‘Forums’ link - linking to an external address.

How can you add these links directly to the drop down?

If I create a CMS page with the link as detailed in your solution, whilst the drop down looks right, it creates an extra page which you then have to click on

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

If you look at /magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/contacts.xml you can see how Magento already adds one of these links.

Here is the relevant XML

<default>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="contacts" ifconfig="contacts/contacts/enabled"><label>Contact Us</label><url>contacts</url><title>Contact Us</title><prepare>true</prepare></action>
        </
reference>
    </default>

if you change it to read

<default>
        <
reference name="top.links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="contacts" ifconfig="contacts/contacts/enabled"><label>Contact Us</label><url>contacts</url><title>Contact Us</title><prepare>true</prepare></action>
        </
reference>
    </default>

Your Contact Us link is moved into the ‘top.links’ block now.

The other links you mention are cms blocks already.

Magento Community
Magento Community

malpayne

Total Posts:  15

Maybe someone can help with this: I also created a Help and Info category with four sub-categories of About Us, Contact Us, Customer Service, and Site Map. About Us and Customer Service we simple as they are already static blocks, but I am having trouble with the contact form. I created a static block for it and can load the form using the following code for the block content:

{{block type="core/template" name="contactForm" template="contacts/form.phtml"}}

The form does load from the navigation, but does not post when the Submit button is selected. Any idea of how to resolve this?

Any suggestions on how to add the Site Map to a sub-category would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

shir

Dear Mal,

I made a category called Contact Us, then basically copied the code from the Contact Us page and tweaked it to show what I want. And then put it in the Category Description.

There’s also CSS references, so if your template isn’t the same as mine, it may not show up the same. If you use the code below, remember to put in the right URLs and info. Notes are like this {INFO} - curly brackets and caps..

Goes something like this:

<div class="middle col-2-right-layout">
    <
div id="main" class="col-main">
        <
div class="page-head">
            <
h3>PUT YOUR PAGE HEADING HERE</h3>

</
div>
<
div class="clear">
                </
div>
<
p>{I PUT MY CONTACT ADDRESS HERE}<br>Tel{AND MY PHONE NUMBER HERE}
<p>{I PUT SOME MORE INFO HERE}</p>
        <
form id="contactForm" method="post" action="http://{YOUR URL HERE}/contacts/index/post/">
            <
fieldset class="group-select">
            <
h4 class="legend">Message Information</h4>
            <
ul>
                <
li>
                <
div class="input-box">
                    <
label for="name">Name <span class="required">*</span></label><br>
                    <
input name="name" id="name" title="Name" value="" class="required-entry input-text" type="text">
                </
div>
                <
div class="clear">
                </
div>
<
div class="input-box">
                    <
label for="email">Email <span class="required">*</span></label><br>
                    <
input name="email" id="email" title="Email" value="" class="required-entry input-text validate-email" type="text">
                </
div>
                <
div class="clear">
                </
div>
                <
div class="input-box">
                    <
label for="telephone">Telephone</label><br>
                    <
input name="telephone" id="telephone" title="Telephone" value="" class="input-text" type="text">
                </
div>
                <
div class="clear">
                </
div>
                <
div class="input-box">
                    <
label for="comment">Comment</label><br>
                    <
textarea name="comment" id="comment" title="Comment" class="input-text" style="height: 140px; width: 300px;" cols="40" rows="5"></textarea>
                </
div>
                </
li>
            </
ul>
            </
fieldset>
            <
div class="button-set">
                <
class="required">* Required Fields</p>
                <
button class="form-button" type="submit"><span>Submit</span>
                </
button></div>
        </
form>
<
script type="text/javascript">
    var 
contactForm = new VarienForm('contactForm'true);
</script>                <!-- [end] content -->
                    &
nbsp; </div>
            <!-- 
[end] right -->

</
div>
Cheers…
Sue

Magento Community
Magento Community

microtribe

Total Posts:  1

Hey Lee,

That didn’t work…

t.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cyberd0g

Total Posts:  4

microtribe - 26 March 2009 05:43 PM

Hey Lee,

That didn’t work…

t.

Hey,

I tried Lee’s instruction and that worked fine for me!

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

loeffel
Guru

Total Posts:  427

Thanks Sue and Lee, both your tips have been very helpfull!

Magento Community
Magento Community

brianb421

Total Posts:  196

Thank you so much Sue! Great insight and so easy smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

visiondrew

Total Posts:  13

Shir,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this!!

I was ripping my hair out trying to find a good way to do this and came up with nothing.

Magento should make this part of their documentation.

Thanks again!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Raptor Commerce (toby)

Total Posts:  180

You might want to have a look at our Custom menus and Supermenu extensions. Both extensions allow you to add links and full custom menus. It’s all managed through the admin screens and you can create different menus for each website/store/store view so it might do what you looking for

Toby

--
Raptor Commerce
Powerful Magento Extensions

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2