Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Removing the right column from catalog and product view

ridcully

Total Posts:  8
Germany

I tried to change the layout of the catalog view an the product view. I copied the layout from the default design into my own folder and changed the config in the admin to use the new design. Everything is working right, i can change the layout of the shop.

However, I want in the whole shop a maximum of the columns. So i changed the main.xml to only use 1column or 2columns-left. The catalog view and the product view are still showing a right column.

All categories are set to no layout changes. When i change the layout to 2columns-left manuelly the shop is showing right. However i don’t want to change every categorie for this. I just want to set a default layout and change this where needed…

Anyone has an idea what is going wrong here?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ridcully

Total Posts:  8
Germany

HI ohminu,

I tried to comment out every setTemplate and activate it step by step. Nothing happend at all! Soit seems that Magento is ignoring what ever template i set in main.xml. I put it in app/design/frontend/default/mydesign/layout/ . In the admin i set the themes to mydesign. I htink my design is used, as i modified some pthml files, and they are displaying correct. The modified pthml files are saved in the same mydesign-folder in the sub folder template.

I added my main.xml, too. Maybe you can take a look. I am sure, i missed something, but i don’t know what…

Thanks,

ridcully

File Attachments
main.xml  (File Size: 41KB - Downloads: 194)

Magento Community
Magento Community

wopp

Total Posts:  57
Dublin, Ireland

Go to app/design/frontend/your_theme/your_theme/layout and locate the catalog.xml file

Edit this line
<action method=\"setTemplate\"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action>

To Read:
<action method=\"setTemplate\"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>

Thats it!

If you want the same layout in the product listing page where a list of your products reside then locate the file page.xml in the same folder as above and edit this line:

<block type=\"page/html\" name=\"root\" output=\"toHtml\" template=\"page/3columns.phtml\">

To this

<block type=\"page/html\" name=\"root\" output=\"toHtml\" template=\"page/2columns-left.phtml\">

Wayne

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community