Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magically Move Magento to New Server w/ Configurable Products

magentomoveproblems

Total Posts:  2

I spent hours and hours looking on Google, Craigslist, and Magento forums - but didn’t get an answer.  I spent hours working on this website - putting together and getting it right.  But this is driving me crazy.  I posted an ad on Craigslist almost a month ago, and that ad is still highly visible in the search engines.

Problem:
I have installed magento on a test site for a client.  Imagine that I installed it on a server - widgetsxyz.com but NOW I need to quickly move the site to a new domain name - blueblandwidgets.com.  This is a store that has configruable products - drop down menus and all.

I backed up data from old site. Uploaded files. Set Permissions. Imported SQL data.  But thats when it screwed up, the whole site is worthless without the configurable products.  So here it is…

The problem is that I moved the site to a new server, but now the configurable products don’t work...because Magento’s backend is not “seeing” the attributes from the database, even though they’re clearly there in phpmyadmin. 

But look at this!!! -
When I go into the admin panel and look at the attributes - they are NOWHERE to be found.  What in the world?
But when I look at the attribute sets - they’re all there. All 15 of them.

Of course the data is in phpmyadmin - and it was inserted correctly.  Wasn’t it? 
Of course I thought I set the permissions - didn’t I?

But for what reason would the configurable product attributes NOT SHOW UP in the admin backend.  They’re not there.

I uploaded the files in the media folder. the catalog folder.  They seem to be set to 777.

So all in all - everyone is talking about everything.  But no one has really discussed actually MOVING a magento site - from one site to another?  What am I missing.  Your help would be graciously appreciated it.  And by the way this is for a cosmetics company in Los Angeles, 15 of the products are configurable.  I really did not plan on spending 15 hours re-doing them.

Oh and if you’re curious - I even posted an ad on Craigslist looking for help.  No ONE seemed to know what was going on.  Why is it so hard to move a magento site that has configurable products.  What is the REAL way to get attributes from a backup database - to show up in a new installation of Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

maybe this reply by Moshe will help you:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/10551/#t37962

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentomoveproblems

Total Posts:  2

No this did not seem to say or mention or hint anything about configurable products; and the issue of how to move a magento site that has configurable products. Thanks for the link though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

patbrumfield

Total Posts:  20

did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? i’m getting ready to wipe my install and start fresh, but if the configurable products are un-recoverable that’d be a deal-breaker for me.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

matponta

Total Posts:  39
Italy

Hi.

I managed to do it by importing the catalog_product_link tables to the new database, after mapping the number of the new products onto the old ones via sku match. You need to remove the FK contraints on the old DB to do this.

Mattia

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community