Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need help getting started on 2 modules (or one dual purpose module)

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Hi all - first post....
I’ve spent the last few days familiarizing myself with magento further, however I need some guidance. (i’m a PHP developer, am familiar with OOP (as in, I can write applications in OOP, have knowledge of a few design patterns, etc))

I need to make one module that will pull products from a specific category and give me the product name, a product link and a specific attribute i’ll be setting for products within the category.

I need a 2nd module that will give me images / links (not necessarily within that same category)

(or one module that takes a category or array of categories as a parameter...)

My main question to you all is what class I need to be extending to make this happen and does anyone have any examples of something similar (I have seen the example of making a featured product module, that’s a good start...I’m not sure how applicable it is to my problem).

Edit: Aditional request - examples of using AJAX within magento ? (http request)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Any ideas on getting me in the right direction at all? Not asking for you to do the work for me rasberry

Basically want to display some products on the home page using my own template (for one “module” mentioned above)

and then something more complicated, the module that draws only from a specific category.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community