Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Development Manual? 

developerx

Total Posts:  25

Is there a development manual available that explains the concepts of adding additional functionality to products pages etc?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

If there are any specific questions, please post and we’ll do our best to respond.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shado

Total Posts:  2

Some development documentation of the MVC architecture would we very useful.

I think I’ve figured the database layout out, but I’m still not quite sure how that translates into the Model code and how the Views and Controller pieces tie it all together.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/doc/magento-architecture explains the overall flow, but doesn’t help with understanding how to build/code the necessary pieces at each stage.  Are there any updates as to when additional information is planned to be available?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Development manual / technical documentation will be available soon.

Magento Community
Magento Community

seldon

Total Posts:  92

Hi,

Any time estimate on when the docs will be available? At this point i think i slowly start to see a bit of the structure.

There are the models, which load/save to the deb using a resource / entity ?. Then there are the blocks, some directly related to models, others more like view-helpers, which are layout classes containing additional view logic. Then there are helpers, which contain model-logic that could be/ is reusable for other models. Then there are the controllers and the layout scripts.

Now could someone clarify the above a bit more?

Moreover, Im currently not quite grasping which models/blocks are available at which time? How do i know which blocks and what data i could add to the main.xml at certain points (say at the frontpage, which models/blocks are available) ? How does the frontcontroller know which models to load? Could someone explain to me the working of the homepage and or the catalog page a bit more?

I dont mind reading a not-finished documentation smile

I hope someone can help me out a bit,

Thanks,

Seldon

Magento Community
Magento Community

seldon

Total Posts:  92

So basically, im wondering, what functions do the following entities have (and what are their differences and relations):

model, entity, resource, table ?

block, layout ?

helper?

And how does the dispatching work? In what way is the main.xml config used ? How do i know which models/blocks are available in the various sections of the site ?

And, also handy would be a short list of descriptions of the block types.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageGuys
Guru

Total Posts:  380

I know I’m digging up an old thread, but I think it is still an unresolved one. This was “coming soon” a year ago, but I still can’t find it. Am I missing something, or is this still not available? I’ve spent hours wandering in the code and frankly, I’m lost. There is obviously rhyme and reason to the code, but I can’t figure out what it is. What keeps killing me are the plethora of methods which accept a string, and magically return an object of some unknown type. I never seem to be able to figure out how they know what type of object to return, where the object is created, how to override the object, etc. It’s a little hard to use an object if you haven’t got a clue what it actually is.

Just to be clear, I’m a seasoned developer, and no stranger to PHP either, but I’m lost in here. If this documentation has been completed, where is it? If it hasn’t when can we expect it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

herve@wsa

Total Posts:  48
United Kingdom

I have 2 issues and I would benefit on having a sort of doc, templating to do things and so on. Thanks for reading! and sorting my issues would be amazing

first issue:
I have noticed that contact us page is built without using block. I guess the contact us page is so simple (in design) that Magento uses a default/generic block.

However, as I am trying to extend the contact us page, I was having the idea to create a new block/module and so on. Since the structure of the contact us page is not standard (block, controllers, helper, model, sql and etc folders are told to be standards), I happen to miss the key on how extending this functionality

second issue:
I would like to have the post data validated (by another way than javascript) and eventually the form could reappear (if the data are not valid) with error message and the data that the user entered would remain on the form

An answer/ or insight to either of these 2 questions would be great

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community