Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
One Installation - Multiple Store Fronts

magento-neil

Total Posts:  12

Looks like this is an often asked question.  I need to confirm. 

In chapter 1 of the user guide there’s a nice diagram in the Magento’s Architecture/Modules section that shows one website, three stores, and a collection of themes.

Can I have Theme I active on store A, and Theme II active on store B, etc at the same time?

If so, then can you confirm that it will give me the ability to run multiple stores off the same URL ... each of which could have a unique visual appearance.

I’ll update the wiki/user guide to say so if this is true.

Thanks, Neil

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

magento-neil - 16 July 2008 07:15 AM

Looks like this is an often asked question.  I need to confirm. 

In chapter 1 of the user guide there’s a nice diagram in the Magento’s Architecture/Modules section that shows one website, three stores, and a collection of themes.

Can I have Theme I active on store A, and Theme II active on store B, etc at the same time?

If so, then can you confirm that it will give me the ability to run multiple stores off the same URL ... each of which could have a unique visual appearance.

I’ll update the wiki/user guide to say so if this is true.

Thanks, Neil

Neil,
Magento can handle what you are referring to. I’m just not quite sure about one thing that said, namely “mulitple stores off the same URL”. Do you mean domain? I just want to be sure. If you’d like to have Store A and Store B on the same domain, both stores selling the same products, with the only changes between stores being cosmetic, then you’d want one website, one store and two store views. You would then apply your specific store theme in the configuration section. If you had a different scenario in mind, let me know.

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

magento-neil

Total Posts:  12

Perfect ... thanks Dan.  Yes I should have said one domain.

My client has a 5 boutiques - all of which have some overlapping inventory but can share a common cart.  Ultimately, each would get its own domain but first baby steps until we build the volume to justify the extra expense of more hosting etc.

In this scenario is it also possible to assign/restrict individual products across the storefronts?  For example, dress#1 is only available in store-A, and dress#2 is available in store-A and -B, and dress#3 is only available in store-C.

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

In this scenario is it also possible to assign/restrict individual products across the storefronts?  For example, dress#1 is only available in store-A, and dress#2 is available in store-A and -B, and dress#3 is only available in store-C.

YES.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ionous studio

Total Posts:  5

Given the feature mentioned above, it would be great if out of the box we can restrict Customer Groups to specific areas of the the system.

Is there a way we can restrict Customer Groups to specific Site, Store, or Store View?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zerosports

Total Posts:  11

email only work for the main store, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th store email aren’t working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

codex73

Total Posts:  6

magento-neil - 16 July 2008 10:07 AM

Perfect ... thanks Dan.  Yes I should have said one domain.

My client has a 5 boutiques - all of which have some overlapping inventory but can share a common cart.  Ultimately, each would get its own domain but first baby steps until we build the volume to justify the extra expense of more hosting etc.

What if I need one domain per storefront? Let’s say distributor sites.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nar

Total Posts:  30

Do multiple stores with different domains really work?

I have one website with two stores and one store view each.  Each store view has a different theme and product selection and each store is on a different subdomain.

For example:

lights.mystore.com
tools.mystore.com

both redirecting to

https://www.mystore.com

for checkout.

When checking out, the theme of the store is passed beautifully to the main domain www.mystore.com.

The problem is that I can only switch between stores using the magento store switcher.  If I simply type the domain of the other store, it does not change theme or products.  Rather, it just stays the same, but with the wrong domain in the browser.

This makes it impossible for me to submit products from both stores to product search engines.

What I need is to be able to have the theme and product called correctly for each product url.  I understand this could be done by enabling “Add Store Code to Urls” in configuration.  However, this is not very search engine friendly.

I gather this has something to do with cookies and session handling.  Can anyone please give me some tips?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

robertheppell

Total Posts:  28

Hello.

I have two domains:

things.co.uk & things.com. Things.com is the master site.

My SSL cert is installed on things.com.

They are set up as different stores, not different websites because of the restriction of not being able to have more than two SSL certs on a domain host. So in the index of things.co.uk i have the following:

case ‘things.co.uk’:
case ‘www.things.co.uk’:
Mage::run(’things’, ‘store’);
break;

things.co.uk and things.com have different themes. When people go to things.co.uk and checkout they are redirected to things.com. The problem I am having is that the the theme suddenly changes, how do I configure the back end so that the theme is carried over from things.co.uk to things.com? So the user doesn’t really notice they have left one site and gone to anther secure site.

I could of course have the same theme for both but one if for international market the other for domestic market.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community

robertheppell

Total Posts:  28

This is pretty exhausting work,,,,,, I had it working, then changed the base link skin URL and then changed it back and now it not working again.

All configuration in the back-end is set for unsecure and secure web settings to default apart from the base URL of things.co.uk; which is set to things.co.uk.

It now shares the items in the cart between things.co.uk and things.com. But the problem still happens when I go to checkout I get the theme of things.com instead of the theme of things.co.uk.

I noticed that when it was working I could see the SID code in the URL, but now I cant see it but the data is getting transfer from store to store… very odd.

Any ideas?

Thanks reply’s are hugely welcome. (even if its just a hello)

Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community

abibabou

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I am new to Magento.

I would like to have 2 sites one for professionals and the other one for non professionals on the same installation.

Some products and categories will overlap.

I am using Magento 1.4.11.

What would be best 2 websites or 2 stores?

Abhi

Magento Community
Magento Community

drock

Total Posts:  8
International

robertheppell - Did you ever get it working?  I’ve run into a similar situation with multiple stores.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kwestic

Total Posts:  5

abibabou - 05 November 2010 07:11 PM

Hi,

I am new to Magento.

I would like to have 2 sites one for professionals and the other one for non professionals on the same installation.

Some products and categories will overlap.

I am using Magento 1.4.11.

What would be best 2 websites or 2 stores?

Abhi

Take note. 2 websites = 2 separate Customer logins. Everything else can be shared. Additionally, with 2 websites you can turn products on or off based on the site. Don’t know if that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisGilfoy

Total Posts:  1

I have similar question so I thought I’d ask on here rather than start a new thread.

We’re a UK ecommmerce site looking to expand into the US and SEO is of course a major ongoing concern. We currently use a .com domain for our UK site and plan to use an additional storefront for the US and host it with a .US ccTLD. My question is whether you can tag product pages separately on different storefronts?

Is there an ‘SEO for multiple Magento store-fronts’ guide or blog post anywhere that anyone’s come across?

Thanks!

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

krifur

Total Posts:  3

adimagento - 17 July 2008 09:28 AM

YES.

Hi do you have a link where I can have more details about this ?
This is strictly what i wanna do but I do know how to setup this…

Thx

Magento Community
Magento Community

Novusweb

Total Posts:  89
Texas

We grappled with how to construct multiple stores and businesses, especially where product sharing comes into play.

After spending weeks and months solving these issues, we’ve published a new PDF book called Managing Multiple Stores with Magento. Since we’ve invested so much into our Magento stores, we thought it might help others to provide this information in an inexpensive book.

I hope others will find it valuable, as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2