Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What are Magento’s plans for documentation? 

ylibrach

Total Posts:  78

Let me start off by saying that Magento is an absolutely incredible application. Having looked at the code over the last few days, I can say that the team at Varien is more skilled than almost any other programming company that I’ve had the pleasure (or displeasure) of dealing with.

Saying that, I must say that at this point at time, Magento is severely crippled in regards to developer use. The code base is huge and the conventions which comprise Magento’s framework are pretty much unprecedented. I have been a programmer for 15 years and never have I had such a hard time understanding the mechanics of an application.

I’ve even purchased the PHP|Architects book, read it cover to cover, and still can’t say that I have a true grasp of how Magento works or the course I’d need to take if I wanted to delve further into the code.

Fact of the matter is that this book is not enough, the Wiki is not enough, and Magento “documentation” in general is not enough. I applaud Varien on creating a first-rate eCommerce application, and I understand it has only recently been released, but something needs to be done about documentation.

Can someone from Varien respond and let me (and the community) know if there is anything in the works regarding documentation?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

I aggree with you. I don’t understand this :
When we look this amazing application we see that it’s the result of long period of modelisation and analyse. Why you don’t give us the documention you had done during this analyse period (UML diagram...) ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

A helpful hint, it helped a *LOT* to look at the Zend Framework.  Magento is ultimately based off of that and they just extended their own classes around that.  If you look at how the framework handles a lot of things, it is the exact same in Magento just with different names and some different parameters.  Try looking at that.  The hardest aspect is figuring out the EAV database structure but everything else just takes some looking in to.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@ylibrach - First, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

We are committed to providing documentation and absolutely realize its importance. Although I am unable to provide specific dates, we are doing the best we can with the resources we have and hope to see such work available to the community in the near future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

thank you to have taken time to answer, we appreciate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ylibrach

Total Posts:  78

RoyRubin - 16 July 2008 04:00 AM

@ylibrach - First, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

We are committed to providing documentation and absolutely realize its importance. Although I am unable to provide specific dates, we are doing the best we can with the resources we have and hope to see such work available to the community in the near future.

Thanks for responding so quickly. It’s good to know that you guys are considering the documentation issue as a pretty serious one and are working on a solution. Hopefully it will be out sooner rather than later.

@alistek: Yea I’ve been looking at the Zend Framework the last few days and it does help a little, however the framework is large and Magento doesn’t implement all of it so it is a little hard to pick out the points you need from their documentation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital dawg

Total Posts:  16

Doxygen

regards,
dawg

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

another vote for Magento-specific developer documentation!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community