Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Comments/suggestions about attributes

Catia

Total Posts:  21

Hello Magento,

I’m generally quite pleased with what I’m seeing for this first release.  However, I have a number of suggestions to make based on my experience building and working with e-commerce sites.

- “Multiple select” attributes: I was very disappointed to find out that only “dropdown” attributes are filterable in the frontend.  This means that a product can only be assigned a single, predefined value for any particular attribute.  I really think that “multiple select” attributes should be filterable as well.  For example, imagine a store that sells furniture and wants to filter their products by material, such as wood, leather, metal, glass, etc.  It would be great to be able to assign multiple values to a product that has a combination of materials, like a metal and glass coffee table, or a wood and leather chair.  I think this is a feature that a lot of people could make use of; would you consider implementing this?

- Price filter: From the demo site, it looks like products are automatically grouped in $100 or $1000 ranges.  This will probably suit most users just fine, but there may be some users who would like to set their own price ranges.  Is it possible to do this?

- Manufacturer attribute: For now, “manufacturer” is just one of the many attributes that can be assigned to a products.  Quite a few of the existing e-commerce solutions devote an entire section of their backend to manufacturers/vendors.  That way, users can enter contact information for the vendors (which is always useful) and even descriptions about the different manufacturers.  I think it would be a handy if users could enter a description and/or logo for each manufacturer, and have it appear on the details pages of all the products from that manufacturer.

- Attribute SKUs: When it comes to configurable products, some store owners will find it useful to be able to assign codes or SKUs to the different options that would get appended to the end of a product SKU.  Here’s what I mean: if you have a T-Shirt whose SKU is TS0001, you could also assign mini-SKUs to the different size and color options.  That way, a large, black T-Shirt would be TS0001-LG-BK and a small, red one would be TS0001-SM-RD.  I’m not sure exactly how you plan on implementing inventory tracking, but this kind of SKU system could help get a handle on inventory as well.

- Attribute Prices: So far, I haven’t figured out if it is possible to specify a different price for a particular option of a configurable product, like making a certain feature cost an extra $5.  Do you plan on implementing this?

I haven’t gotten a chance to install Magento and test it out thoroughly, so I apologize in advance if there are any features mentioned above that I might have overlooked… (And sorry for the super-long post!)

C

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

- “Multiple select” attributes: will get back to you later about that

- Price filter: there were quite a few algorithms that we considered using here.
Your suggestion about manually configured price ranges implies more questions: is it per category? per attribute set? per store? do we really need to make store owners deal with it?
It will be possible for community to write modules that will handle multitude of tasks in any customized way you can think.
By default, the algorithm is as follows:
1. Find the lowest and highest price in the range of filtered products. 
2. Find what power of 10 these are in.
3. If there’s 2 or less ranges available we go one power down.

So the price ranges could be:
$10-20, $40-50, $110-120
$100-200, $300-400, $400-500, $700-800, $800-900, $900-$1000
We figured that for most vendors this will be acceptable automatic solution.

- Manufacturer attribute: for those that have customized needs for manufacturers, i’m sure customized module will be made.

- Attribute SKUs & Prices: In Magento these called Configurable and Grouped products. They use Simple products as options the customer can choose.
That means that specific options can have all the attributes (properties, fields) that any normal product does, including SKU, price, weight. In Configurable products it is also possible to setup relative price changes based on attribute value connected to specific product option.

Thanks for the questions and let me know if you have more smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Total Posts:  126
Fistufle

Moshe - 01 September 2007 08:29 PM

- Attribute SKUs & Prices: In Magento these called Configurable and Grouped products. They use Simple products as options the customer can choose.
That means that specific options can have all the attributes (properties, fields) that any normal product does, including SKU, price, weight. In Configurable products it is also possible to setup relative price changes based on attribute value connected to specific product option.

Thanks for the questions and let me know if you have more smile

I am trying to figure out the best way to setup product warranty options in the catalog. The idea is to offer an optional warranty extension for each product in the system. The warranty extension choice being none, 2 or 5 years. The last two choices adding some extra cost (depending on the product) to the purchase.

In Magento philosophy, should this be implemented as Configurable products, like “ASICS Men’s GEL-Kayano XII” product in the demo store ? In that case, it requires to create a mother Configurable Product, and an additional (simple) product for each choice in the options ? Is there a way to avoid duplicating the mother product or is it the only way to work ?

Thank you,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catia

Total Posts:  21

Dear Moshe:

- “Multiple select” attributes: Just curious, have you gotten an answer about this yet?

- Price filter: That sounds fine.  I just thought there might be some cases where the distribution of products gets uneven, or that some people would want to have ranges other than powers of 10 (like intervals of $25, $50, $250, etc.) But as you said, that could be done with modules.

- Attribute SKUs & Prices: I looked at the demo again and I now understand how configurable products work.  I see why you designed the system this way (for inventory control, attributes, and such), but there are a couple of things that bother me.  I find it tedious that you have to create a simple product individually for every possible combination of options (even if you use the “duplicate entry” button, it’s a kind of a pain).  Also, I don’t see why the simple products have to be listed in the backend independently of the configurable product, even if it was created for the sole purpose of being included in a configurable product.

Here are a couple ideas to make things less confusing for stores that have a lot of configurable products:
Adding a new configurable product could be more automated, sort of like a product creation wizard.  Users would enter all the basic product information for their configurable product (descriptions, prices, images, meta keywords, etc.).  Then they would decide which attributes are configurable, specifying the different combinations of options that should be made available to the customer, as well as the appropriate SKUs.  The system would then automatically create all of the required simple products, copying the basic information that was already entered for the configurable product. The user would then edit the simple products individually if necessary.  The end result would be the same, but it’s a quicker and more user-friendly way of doing it.
Also, when browsing or searching for items in the backend product management, it would make things more clear if the simple products were grouped together with their parent configurable product.  Even better, the simple products could all be “collapsed” under the configurable product, with a button to expand them if the user wants to view them.

Best,
C

Magento Community
Magento Community

SP Gear

Total Posts:  10
Martinez, CA

Catia - 09 September 2007 08:26 PM

Dear Moshe:

- �Multiple select� attributes: Just curious, have you gotten an answer about this yet?

- Price filter: That sounds fine.  I just thought there might be some cases where the distribution of products gets uneven, or that some people would want to have ranges other than powers of 10 (like intervals of $25, $50, $250, etc.) But as you said, that could be done with modules.

- Attribute SKUs & Prices: I looked at the demo again and I now understand how configurable products work.  I see why you designed the system this way (for inventory control, attributes, and such), but there are a couple of things that bother me.  I find it tedious that you have to create a simple product individually for every possible combination of options (even if you use the “duplicate entry” button, it’s a kind of a pain).  Also, I don’t see why the simple products have to be listed in the backend independently of the configurable product, even if it was created for the sole purpose of being included in a configurable product.

Here are a couple ideas to make things less confusing for stores that have a lot of configurable products:
Adding a new configurable product could be more automated, sort of like a product creation wizard.  Users would enter all the basic product information for their configurable product (descriptions, prices, images, meta keywords, etc.).  Then they would decide which attributes are configurable, specifying the different combinations of options that should be made available to the customer, as well as the appropriate SKUs.  The system would then automatically create all of the required simple products, copying the basic information that was already entered for the configurable product. The user would then edit the simple products individually if necessary.  The end result would be the same, but it’s a quicker and more user-friendly way of doing it.
Also, when browsing or searching for items in the backend product management, it would make things more clear if the simple products were grouped together with their parent configurable product.  Even better, the simple products could all be “collapsed” under the configurable product, with a button to expand them if the user wants to view them.

Best,
C

I completely agree with this suggestion… and I was thinking this exact same thing as I was transferring product over from my current site to my new Magento site.

I would also like to suggest that you should allow grouped products to include configurable products.  For instance, in your example of grouped products within magento resources, you show a three piece suit.  Obviously, there is going to be a jacket size/color, pant size/color, etc. and if you set up a group of these configurable products, this would be the perfect way to sell them.  Also, if you could set a price for this group that might be less if you purchased it together vs. purchasing the items individually, that would be fantastic.

Keep up the great work!

-brian

Magento Community
Magento Community

nickweisser

Total Posts:  218
Zurich, Switzerland

- Price filter: there were quite a few algorithms that we considered using here.
Your suggestion about manually configured price ranges implies more questions: is it per category? per attribute set? per store? do we really need to make store owners deal with it?
It will be possible for community to write modules that will handle multitude of tasks in any customized way you can think.

I’m having the same requirement for one client for which the algorithm does not make any sense:

0-10000 (334), 10000-20000 (4), 20000-30000(1)

Is there any way to influence these ranges by maybe creating some (disabled) fake products or whatever? Or is there an “easy” way of overwriting the filter class/method to manually define the ranges per store (we have a price range drop down on the home page)?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hercilio Costa

Total Posts:  59

Nick Weisser - 21 October 2008 05:41 AM

I’m having the same requirement for one client for which the algorithm does not make any sense:

0-10000 (334), 10000-20000 (4), 20000-30000(1)

Is there any way to influence these ranges by maybe creating some (disabled) fake products or whatever? Or is there an “easy” way of overwriting the filter class/method to manually define the ranges per store (we have a price range drop down on the home page)?

I have the same problem here. But where is that filter class/method??

Magento Community
Magento Community

magento-newbie

Total Posts:  4

Did anyone sort the “Multiple select” attributes suggestion?

Any word .....

grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

Hi, with the Layered Navigation Pro you can 1) shop by multiple attributes simultaneously.  2) Show price filter as a slider or input or (as default) price ranges links.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

magento-newbie - 03 October 2009 12:38 PM

Did anyone sort the “Multiple select” attributes suggestion?

The Improved Navigation extension gives you full control on the layered navigation, including ability to modify price ranges, create dropdowns and attach images. And of course filter by multiple attributes, both in the catalog and search results pages.
As for the manufacturers, with the addon you will be able to crate nice landing pages with the manufacturer’s logo and description as well as neat automatically generated All Brands list.

Image Attachments
meaningful-price-ranges.pngdifferent-types.pngshop-by-brands.pngall-brands.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

pola89

Total Posts:  2

HELP PLEASE!!!

I sell swimsuits (separates) and in order to be able to sell them separate we are having to create simple products per top and per bottom sizes (also per reference as they all have different sku numbers). Then, we create a group product and associate each of the simple products with either TOP or BOTTOM (that’s how the simple product has to be named at first so it is identified correctly - if it goes under top or bottom). Even though this system works it is tedious and takes long time just to add one suit with different top/bottom options, like this one(we had to create 12 different simple products in order to achieve this):

http://nikkisboutique.com/cubanita-peligrosa-by-luli-fama.html

I’ve been reading some, and it seems there is an easier way to do so using configurable products..But I still can’t figure it out as we need separate price for top and bottom as they show it on this page (this is exactly what we need):

http://www.mollybrownsswimwear.com/swimwear/vitamin-a-gold/le-chic-top-bottom-24k.html

as you can see all we need to define is price for top and price for bottom and then client picks the size from the drop-down…
What do you think is the best way to achieve this??? Can you please please help me out??

Thank you!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community