Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

PROBLEM WITH LEFT CATEGORY MENU

abaki

Total Posts:  32
USA

Hi there,

I am trying to take main category from header to left. In the previous post I learned how to do it. But there are some problems I need to fix.

First of all, when we are in below one category for example apparel there exists default left category, showing the subcategories of apparel. If I select one of the subcategories from that menu (for ex: shoes), in the left there show currently shopping by navigation.

But if I try to go to shoes directly form my left main category, it does not appear. I also want to show currently shopping by navigation in this manner.

I attached some pictures…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

abaki

USA

Any suggestion?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Are you trying to create it like this: http://www.sherrierohde.com/magento1.1 ?

If so, this is how I did it: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/720/P60/#t36832

Magento Community
Magento Community

abaki

USA

My left category is ready as in the picture.

I think the only problem is on the links. As I tried to show in the picture, I may go to shoes category in two ways.
First, from my left category.
Second, when I one category below( in apparel ) by default there exists shopping options, selecting shoes from there. In these case there exists currently shopping by menu as shown in picture, but in the first case there is no.

The only thing that I do is adding that left category menu. shopping options menu and currently shopping by menu are exists by default. As I see from template path hints these menus are generated by files in that directory: \template\catalog\layer\....

My left menu code is in below. I only change the top.phtml a little and play a little with css.

<div class="box layered-nav">
    <
div class="border-creator">
        <
div class="narrow-by">
            <
h4><?php echo $this->__('Main Categories'?></h4>
            <
h4 class="no-display"><?php echo $this->__('Category Navigation:'?></h4>
            <
ul id="nav">

<?php foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category): ?>

<?php 
echo $this->drawItem($_category?>

<?php 
endforeach ?>

</ul>
            <
script type="text/javascript">decorateDataList('nav')</script>
            <?php 
echo $this->getChildHtml('topLeftLinks'?>

</div>
    </
div>
</
div>

Do I need to play with drawItem() function?, or should I write a new function?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community