Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can I start using this on a production cart safely? 

stevefink

Total Posts:  9
Philadelphia, PA

Hi all,

I’ve been hearing wonderful things about the Magento project. I’m a web developer who’s going to be building my most pertinent site in a few weeks that I’ve ever done, because it’s my own.

As such, I’m being very critical as to what product I deploy my store on. I have no doubt that when I come back one year from now to this website, this is going to be one of the prominent ecommerce players out there.  My question is, can I reliably launch my store using Magento now, in say, 2 weeks? Are most folks just beta running the software now or actually doing any sales with a magento back-end?

Thanks for any help you may offer me. grin

- sf

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@Steve - We strongly recommend you hold off and not use Magento in a production envionrment at this time . We are planning signifcant enhacements and changes in the next few weeks.

As much as we’d love to see Magento in live websites, the current preview version still has some work smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevefink

Philadelphia, PA

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your honesty. Fortunately I love tweaking and I love software, so even if I go with another solution for now (I’d like to have my marketing campaign and store launched at least a month before christmas for some sales.), I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this project and won’t hesitate to switch over when it’s ready.

Cheers!

- sf

Magento Community
Magento Community

kadima

Total Posts:  58

Just keep an eye out for the general release in Q1 2008!

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevefink

Philadelphia, PA

I will do just that, thanks kadlma grin

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community