Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customised Ordering…

Nick Toye

Total Posts:  9

I was wondering if it was possible for me to create a product that can be customised.  For example, Wedding Stationery that can be customised by the customer, so they can choose colour, verses, etc....

Can Magento do that?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

theblacktieaffair

Total Posts:  4
Greencastle, PA

Did anyone ever tell you how to do this? I am trying to figure out myself how to add text boxes so that the customer can put in their personalization they want on items.

do you know how to do this yet?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

Hello and welcome on board !

See this : Configurable product
And read this : User guide, configurable product

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nick Toye

Total Posts:  9

So can we have different pricing depending on the options chosen?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tech Pop

I actually need to do this too.  I’ve watched the screencast regarding configurable products, however this is limited to pulldown items, such as ‘shirt size’ or ‘color’ or ‘gender’ - predefined lists of variants of the same product.

What the original poster above and what I need to do is allow the customer to enter customized text to include with their order.  Example:  If I ran a customized stationary company I would want to allow the user to enter the name they want printed on the stationary, or whatever text - specific to them - should be included in the product.  The same might go for wedding invitations, engravings of some kind, or vanity license plates.

This is a must have feature for my purposes and when I first saw the screencast (before being that familiar with Magento) I thought that this was a built-in feature, however after getting my feet wet and reviewing the software and rewatching the screencast, it looks like text fields are only for the admin to use in setting up attributes - not to allow the respondent to fill out those fields.  I’m fairly well versed in PHP and MySQL but I’m not sure I want to go hacking up a copy of the program.  I haven’t begun to look at plugins yet so maybe creating modules for specific tasks such as this are possible.

But I’m getting ahead of myself - does anyone know if the default Magento installation can allow for customers to enter custom information (ie, into a textarea input) either on the product view page or at the time of ordering?  If the answer is no, Magento cannot do this by default, how hard would it be to create a plugin that does something like that?  Is it worth the time or effort of someone who is a fairly capable PHP programmer but hasn’t laid eyes on the underlying code of Magento?

As a last resort I suppose we could have instructions in the order confirmation email to respond with what text they want, however this is far from ideal and you have the added problem of customer data being split between email/paper and what’s in the magento database.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

1.1 will allow you to add custom options including the ability for the customer to enter text.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tech Pop

Thanks very much sherrie!  I’m not very far into my development yet so I’ll definitely check that out.

Is it wise to use the 1.1 beta or should I wait?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

From what I’ve experienced, I’d wait.  Some of the key elements (like price, etc) are being called differently in 1.1 and until we know whether or not that’s going to stay, I personally do not want to work on themeing for it.  There is a very long list of bugs right now for 1.1 Beta.  Although the Alpha version I was playing around with a few weeks ago was working really well.  Ultimately it’s up to you - if you want to get a feel for how custom options work and what not, go for it - I just wouldn’t do much customization at this point.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community