Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

More extensive use of events

stevensurowiec

Total Posts:  15

Maybe I’m just not fully grasping the concept of Events in Magento, but this seems like a greatly under-utilized system and I was wondering if there were plans to setup better Event coverage. Right now it looks like some areas are pretty well covered by events while other, some very key areas (like viewing a Product), have very little Event interaction, if any. I think a more extensive Event system would allow developers to write modules that directly interact with the core system (without having to override it) which would be a pretty big appeal to a lot of potential users.

Just my 2c.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi Steven,

We can add more event dispatch calls by request.

Just let us know what do you need.

Thank you,
Michael.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevensurowiec

Total Posts:  15

Michael, that’s great to hear. What I’m working on right now is a module that will allow integration with a third party inventory system. For this I’ll need the ability to hook into a product while it’s being loaded so I can post to the inventory system and update the inventory that’s displayed live on the front end. I think a general event that was dispatched any time a product is being loaded for display would be beneficial. I tried using catalog_product_load_after but that didn’t work.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community