Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
little confusion with “ <?=$this->getChildHtml(’right’)?>”

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

In the “getChildHtml(’right’)”, it brings up the following :

1) mini-cart (resides in checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml)
2) mini-compare-products (resides in catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml)
3) Back to school (callouts/right_col.phtml)
4) Newsletter (newsletter/subscribe.phtml)
5) Poll (poll/active.phtml)

However I can’t fine a file called “right.phtml’ so that I can remove some of the element above

I want to change:
<div class="col-right side-col">
<?=$this->getChildHtml('right')?>

</div>

to :

<div id="right">
<?=$this->getChildHtml('right')?>
</div>

and I want only
1) mini-cart (resides in checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml)
2) my custom callouts (just simple html blocks) - although not desired, I supposed I can still replace the code from (callouts/right_col.phtml) to get it working

Where do I remove the :
2) mini-compare-products (resides in catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml)
4) Newsletter (newsletter/subscribe.phtml)
5) Poll (poll/active.phtml)

My logic tells me they should be in the ‘right.phtml’ but I can’t the file.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Hi ohminu,

Thank you! Kiss you (on your forehead only)!

You detailed explanation save me from asking many more stupid questions tongue laugh

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Total Posts:  82
Salt Lake City, Utah

can’t seem to find main.xml

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Hello!
main.xml had retired long time ago.

Everything used to be in the main.xml are now reside in the designe\frontend\default\default\layout.

The page.xml controls the default layout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Total Posts:  82
Salt Lake City, Utah

Thank you, best response I’ve got all day. What I’m really trying to find is where the mini-cart is being included.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Relax! You have just had 17 post smile
Patient is the virtue to learn to use Magento, it will only get better, not worse long as you stick to it.

All templates are controlled by phtml files and located in the template directory, after 7 months, Magento team has made it so easy to find as it’s quite self-explanatory.
The designer guide, though outdated, but still helpful for you to understand layouts, blocks and templates relationship. Once you get the concept, you will know where to look for blocks and layouts.

Also, I found that using a software (TextMate in my case) that can show drawers next to the document view is very useful.

Image Attachments
mini-cart.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sean Yeomans

Total Posts:  29
Winnipeg

chinesedream - 01 April 2008 10:19 AM

The designer guide, though outdated, but still helpful for you to understand layouts

Shouldn’t someone go in and make it “in-dated” now that it’s obvious there are errors?

I searched for main.xml for quite some time, along with a few other discrepancies. so not only is this application a biotch to learn, the documentation is making it ‘’biotchier’’

gah!

Image Attachments
886062664_11fa33d9c3.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

karynn

Total Posts:  70

chinesedream - 01 April 2008 10:19 AM

All templates are controlled by phtml files and located in the template directory, after 7 months, Magento team has made it so easy to find as it’s quite self-explanatory.

Self-explanatory? Hardly! Perhaps after 7 months of looking at it, but I don’t have that kind of time.

After reading the design guide, I was so impressed, I thought it would be really simple to change the layout of the various content blocks, but after going to the files, I’ve found this is very much NOT the case.

It took some digging to find where to get rid of the Dog with the laptop and the “Back to School” promotion. It seems that so many things are spread across files that I have to open each one up to see what’s inside. That’s not intuitive in the slightest.

Sorry, I’m frustrated as I want to re-order some of the content blocks and I can’t find where they are referenced.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

karynn - 12 April 2008 05:25 PM

Sorry, I’m frustrated as I want to re-order some of the content blocks and I can’t find where they are referenced.

I agree that sometimes a couple things do not seem logical to me either. You just need a few “a-ha’s!”, especially with the xml’s that are new to a lot of us. What exactly are you trying to move around?

Magento Community
Magento Community

randomutterings

Total Posts:  19

Can someone please tell me how to add the newsletter subscription to the left column?  I’ve been looking through files for a couple of hours...intuitive.

Magento Community
Magento Community

battosai

Total Posts:  13

karynn - 12 April 2008 05:25 PM

After reading the design guide, I was so impressed, I thought it would be really simple to change the layout of the various content blocks, but after going to the files, I’ve found this is very much NOT the case.

It took some digging to find where to get rid of the Dog with the laptop and the “Back to School” promotion. It seems that so many things are spread across files that I have to open each one up to see what’s inside. That’s not intuitive in the slightest.

I love what Magento can do, but I’m frustrated with how a single page is scattered in so many bits and pieces.  For instance, editing the home page requires going into the admin tool plus numerous text files with an editor.  Some stuff is done with XML, some with XHTML, some with PHP, ...  I’ve been a programmer for a long time, and I’m very familiar with web design, and I find everything very confusing.  To me, it would make more sense to do everything with XHTML and embedded XML tags like J2EE taglibs or ColdFusion’s tags.  Those tags would be friendly frontends to PHP code that most designers would never see.  If someone needed programatic modifications, then create PHP and make a tag for it.

Sigh...it’s a little late to clean up the mess now.  I wonder how many collective hours have been spent hacking through Magento versus how many hours it would have taken to have someone update documentation AHEAD OF the code releases?  Maybe a 10,000:1 ratio?

I’m sure I’m going to love Magento once I figure it out, but I think I might have to wait till more documentation comes out since I have limited hacking time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AdamQuadmon

Total Posts:  20
Perugia - Italy

I’m frustrating too, but I worked on a similar project last year with a team, I know the effort everyone made to explain things each other, is not so simply.

If Varien chose to share with us thery knowledge we have only to say thank you.

They have to do theyr buisness, it’s normal.

I hope that in the near future they can share a solid documentation but now the project is still very dinamic and things change a lot.

The Zend Framework reference too is not so easy to understand…

Magento Community
Magento Community

phantacid

Total Posts:  2
Bristol

In their defense i think they are hoping, and as with all open source projects, that a community of savvy enthusiasts are going to fill in the gaps on documentation etc.

If I had the time I would love to get to work on a Wordpress style widgets plugin. I think it would fairly logical to put together but would take a lot of work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jawshchevyvan

Total Posts:  20

documentation should get a little over haul… but i know how it is.  plus the forums are helpful if not the de facto standard way of doing things.  thanks all.  this reference had to be tracked to catalog.xml for me. 

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Naresh Vajawat

Total Posts:  47
India

Hi,

I am not able to see the blocks as mentioned in the thread in page.xml and as somebody said i do not have the main.xml in the layout folder. I want to interchange the blocks.

Any ideas ????

Thanks,
Naresh

Magento Community
Magento Community

brakk

Total Posts:  29

Has there been any updates as far as documenting all of this? I read through the design guide several times but there is no practical information, only a basic overview of the concept. Also, the search and navigation aspects of the magento website are severely lacking.

I finally found this page by searching on google and all of this is starting to make sense but it would be nice to have some sort of guide to know what files contain what elements.

I can understand the benefit of splitting everything up the way it is, but with no documentation and the blind leading the blind in the forums, it takes forever to figure it all out. It took me three days just to figure out how to make a copy of the default template and apply it to my site so I could start making changes. That’s crazy!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2