Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Store Custom user entered data in the basket

neil.lunn

Total Posts:  3

I have a requirement for storing custom information entered by the customer for certain products in a store.

Essentially (and currently!) the customer is required to fill out the additional information in a custom form upon adding the item to the basket. This information is then kept with the item in the basket (as an XML structured document) and retained with the order for passing on to other systems.

So as an evaluation of the current capabilities of Magento for a replacement store front end, My question:

a.) Is there a capability to store user entered information on an item in the basket/order per item?

b.) Any thoughts on implementation of this approach ie Within the item page or as a separate form required upon adding the item to the shopping basket.

Neil

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This functionality will be available in Magento 1.1 -

You can see a video that shows how this is set up here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/video-custom-product-options-in-magento-11/

Magento Community
Magento Community

neil.lunn

Total Posts:  3

Okay. That looks pretty cool and the field options seem to cover all the requirements.

So the answer here appears to be “check out the 1.1 release and do some alpha testing”. (Which I am eagerly doing right now) grin

Works for me as hopefully this will make it gold to stable before we are ready for implementation.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community