Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Disabling Cache Improves Performance

justbeez

Total Posts:  7

Just a note on performance in a cluster environment, some cloud hosting services (like Mosso) tend to perform better with ALL of the built-in caching disabled.

I’m running 3-4 seconds with all caching disabled, but once I turn it on I’m seeing 6-9 second load times.

the bottleneck with cluster hosts is usually storage-related, so anything they offer that reduces disk I/O--memcached, APC, etc.--use it and it’ll make a HUGE difference.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Total Posts:  81
Grenoble

Hi

Wich version used for Magento ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cooee

Total Posts:  100
Aachen, Germany

Web Services Configuration

Could anyone tell me, what this part of the cache really does?

Cheers, cooee

Magento Community
Magento Community

responderpse

Total Posts:  11

I’m new to Magento and this thread seems to be describing my issues to a T. What I don’t understand is where to find these settings in Magento to disable the cache as described. I’ve looked through all the settings in the admin utility and I don’t find them.

Thanks,
Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

These are very old posts, the latest versions have many performance improvements, many hosts keep saying you need sub-second page loads, you don’t, you should leave caching on and have multiple tiers such APC and Memcache. The target is under 3s page loads for cached and non-cached and preferably 1-2s, these are however hard to achieve consistently, even the big players do not have these load times. http://www.radware.com/stateoftheunion-fall2013/

On top of this, what the hosts will not tell you is that there is the ‘business’ aspect. Go to http://trends.builtwith.com/hosting and you will see the top hosts in the 10K range, if you are hosting outside of these you will have to put in more business effort for ranking, Google takes account of your hosting company and who you host next to. If you are on AWS/Rackspace/Softlayer you have less effort to rank than if you use a non-listed hosting company.

We license architecture from multi-national consultants who balance technology and business running on these top hosts with 1-2s page loads, part of the reason a 30,000 product site was 50% indexed in a few weeks by Google listing first page next to Amazon, eBay, and the like. You should allocate 0.5-1% of revenue for hosting, but really try to use the top hosts where you can (exlcuding GoDaddy ).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2