Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Disabling Cache Improves Performance

dakman

Total Posts:  38

Hi Guys…

I’ve been spending all night researching how to speed up magento (especially the checkout process)… and for some reason… even after recompiling via WHM/cpanel for ... doing the MySQL querycache settings, installing eaccellarator, upping php to 100 M and doing some of those example settings for my.conf ... no cigar… still slow as hell on my knownhost VPS .. Btw we have almost 1 gig of ram and are getting a large majority of the the quad core resources of the VPS.... I’m sure…

So ... I figured out that the solution is using the 3rd party cache systems ... I think eaccellerator is helping… but one of the immediate things I did was disable certain cache settings in Cache Management…

Configuration - KEEP ENABLED…

Layouts - KEEP ENABLED… you could probably disable this

Blocks HTML output - KEEP ENABLED…

Translations - KEEP ENABLED…

PEAR Channels and Packages - I disabled this but you could probably keep it enabled as its probably only being used by magento connect /installer…

Collections Data - DISABLE…

EAV types and attributes - DISABLE…

Shopping Cart data - DISABLE ... 

Seems like magento has to look at cache then go back to mysql and compare updated data or something and its causing a delay when adding products to cart etc… I have no idea if this is correct but its like anti-depressants no one knows how they work really they just work smile

These last 3-4 above did the trick ALONG with refreshing my cache ... I feel magento is now using the full resources of our server…

So before using magento cache I learned… let magento use your systems full resources and your systems own cache app.. APC didn’t work with me due to conflicts with zend optimizer so I’m using eAccelletor from whm which prolly is working ... I think even if you dont use a system cache (just doing the above cache management settings)...will give you the same results…

I have like 3+ magento stores on my VPS now flying on 1 sec page loads vs 5-20 second page loads…

Hope this helps you guys…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Thanks for the tips. smile
Why don’t you add this into the wiki? wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

very interesting ....had tried this myself and what you mention seems to be true!!!! the pages are flying .... tried a lot myself before this - am with Xcache and prior to your change, I used to get around 5-6 sec load time and now as you mention, pages seem to be flying!!!

Now I wish someone from magento team reviews this thread and provides their feedback....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

I’m glad someone else has pointed this out, because this is how I’ve been setting up the caching on stores:

PEAR Channels and Packages - I disabled this but you could probably keep it enabled as its probably only being used by magento connect /installer…
Collections Data - DISABLE…
EAV types and attributes - DISABLE…
Shopping Cart data - DISABLE ...

I would also add Web Services Configuration to the list, since that’s something you’ll see in Magento 1.1.

Don’t forget to uncomment the mod_deflate section in the .htaccess file. For some reason, this is always commented out by default, though it does improve the speed of the site.

Our demo store is running w/ the cache enabled (except for the things you mentioned and the one I mentioned, as well as mod_deflate enabled):

http://www.magentocontainers.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

andreladocruz
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Brazil

Crucial,

Thank for the tip about the mod_deflate!

Regards,

André

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Logged this bug against Magento to see what the core team feels about this -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=2371

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

Thanks very much guys, this has possibly just stopped me changin hosts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Eminent Style - 14 July 2008 12:58 PM

Thanks very much guys, this has possibly just stopped me changin hosts.

Could you put a number on what kind of improvements you think you got, e.g. it was loading X seconds before, and now it’s loading Y seconds.

Also, what are you guys’ thoughts on disabling translations? Most of them appear to be for backend stuff. The other would be cart data, e.g. “This has been added to the cart.”

Also, the wiki article on the caching section is useful, but not complete:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/modules_reference/English/Mage_Adminhtml/system_cache/index/

Specifically this part was interesting:

Collections Data

If enabled, Magento internal object collections will be cached according to specific cache id logic for each collection. Disable during development.

Also from the wiki article regarding PEAR Channels and Packages:

PEAR Channels and Packages

This feature is presently not in use since introduction of MagentoConnect Manager.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

Crucial - 14 July 2008 01:48 PM

Could you put a number on what kind of improvements you think you got, e.g. it was loading X seconds before, and now it’s loading Y seconds?

Before it was about 9 seconds on an add to cart, now its more like 4 or 5. A considerable improvement and probably usable. The general loading of pages seems improved too but the real issue was add to cart functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Wow, I just tried it, and it really seems to make a big difference for me as well.  Will keep monitoring to see if its just a temporary thing…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Eminent Style - 15 July 2008 12:38 AM

Before it was about 9 seconds on an add to cart, now its more like 4 or 5. A considerable improvement and probably usable. The general loading of pages seems improved too but the real issue was add to cart functionality.

Ah cool, that’s a huge improvement considering it’s such a minor thing that anyone can easily do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Disregard my post, checked this morning and the dreaded “long pause syndrome” is back.  When you first go to the site, it sits for about 10 seconds then finally loads.... oh well....

Funny thing is, once you are past the long pause, the site is really fast.... if they could just fix the initial load.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Total Posts:  81
Grenoble

Hi,

Please see this post regarding performance, and give your opinion ! This is not spam…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/18229/

Magento Community
Magento Community

itognet

Total Posts:  24

This worked for me too.
I have a dual Xeon with 6 GB ram, 15k rpm raid disk system. 64 bit OS 2003, Using xcache, using mysql cache, has enabled
magento cache for configuration, layouts, blocks html, translation and web service. I saved this config. and Did a Catalog rewrite.

But this also have influence on importing. Right know I can import /update 1500 stock and price information pr. hour. I am happy.

Conclusion, If you do enough investigation, you CAN get your magento to run smoooohly. smile

Does any ony know, how to setup a “Page loaded in 0.294382 sec” in the footer ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

port23user

Total Posts:  19

Does any ony know, how to setup a “Page loaded in 0.294382 sec” in the footer ?

I prefer not to let the users see how fast the page loaded.  But I installed Firebug and YSlow plugins into my Firefox.  Whenever I load the page, it tells me in the bottom right hand corner of the browser how long it took to load.  Also with YSlow, it rates your pages’ efficency and tells you what kinds of things you can do to improve it.

I have my site installed on a VPS and am getting the slooow 5-20 second pageloads.  I tried enabling/disabling the things listed on this thread and it didn’t affect the load times.  I set up mod_deflate and uncommented the appropriate lines in the deflate module in my .htaccess file.  After all this, I still get slow pageloads.  I only have about 15 products in my database right now.  Am I missing something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

itognet

Total Posts:  24

Make i am wrong,

But the mod_deflate has to be loaded in apache, before it has an effect in htaccess

Remove the # from

#LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

and restart apache.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2