Magento Forum

Confusion about payment methods

Skew

Total Posts:  31
Phoenix

I’m a little confused how it’s working—the website seems to be in a “test mode” where orders are accepted without verification (default credit card—which I don’t even see a way to verify—and paypal).

What am I obviously missing?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Skew

Phoenix

Ron Seigel - 01 September 2007 05:44 PM

The default CC module saves the CC info in the database presumably so you can process it manually.

I don’t think PayPal is finished and functional yet.

Ok, that makes a little more sense. The default CC module seems to only be useful for phone orders (when the admins would need to add it manually), in which case you wouldn’t want it available to everyone… otherwise you’d want it automatically verified, no?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Skew - Not necessarily. You can collect the CC information and then run it manually offline or through a virtual gateway.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Skew

Phoenix

Got it. Thank you.

This brings me to another question: f there is a customer that needs a custom order that you wouldn’t necessarily want available to everyone, will be there any options available for handling this smoothly, or would it have to be charged through a terminal (in which case it’s not on the site and becomes kind of a pain splitting orders up here and there)?

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

This should be possible when we roll out our admin order management module (or as referred to sometimes as call center module)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Skew

Phoenix

yoav - 02 September 2007 11:13 PM

This should be possible when we roll out our admin order management module (or as referred to sometimes as call center module)

Great. Is this going to be in the first official release, or in a beta?

Magento Community
Magento Community

austinstorm

Moscow, ID

Skew… I don’t see it in the roadmap, but considering that it’s already in the admin menus I would assume that it’s in the works soon, probably by beta 2.

Ron, I worked for an internet company for a year that just stored CCs and processed them through auth.net manually. They never had security problems, and purged the CC database on the site about once a month. During my tenure I was able to change them to a better system (they had to manually type in hundreds of numbers a week), but I don’t think it was a huge security problem.

My experience and reading has led me to believe that a lot of the “don’t store cc numbers” is just rhetoric designed to fight public perception that shopping on the internet is unsafe, when in reality most credit card fraud happens at restaurants and brick-and-mortar retail stores.

But yes, auth.net integration is a must.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johannes80

Total Posts:  9

A quick note for Swedish merchants. I don’t think it’s legal to store people’s credit card numbers over here. At least it wasn’t two-three years ago. Please check this before using those modules or you might come in trouble.

It is really stupid to save the numbers unencrypted in a database, if that’s what this module does. What if people set up Magento in a shared hosting environment and it get hacked because of a bug in a software someone else has installed? Just a thought..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rusty

Total Posts:  3

Will CC #’s be encrypted?
I believe to be PCI compliant they would have to be.
Will there be a encryption key that is stored locally to be able access CC #’s?

Thank you,
Rusty

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

when you install it gives you an encryption key and states its used for passwords and CC #’s if im not mistaken

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Credit cards are encrypted in the database - yes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community