Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Could not get contents of package, Invalid tgz file, not a valid package archive

Vee_

Total Posts:  46
Western Australia

Hi,

Been trying to install the osCommerce Migration Tool with no success. I’m getting the following output from the Magento Connect Manager;

downloading Mage_Oscommerce-1.0.19700.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_Oscommerce-1.0.19700.tgz (40,369 bytes)
. . . . . . . . ...
done40,369 bytes
Could not get contents of package 
"/home/beea3314/magento/public_html/downloader/pearlib/download/Mage_Oscommerce-1.0.19700.tgz"Invalid tgz file.
Download of "magento-core/Mage_Oscommerce" succeededbut it is not a valid package archive
Error
cannot download "magento-core/Mage_Oscommerce"

It’s followed by similar messages for Mage_Core_Adminhtml, Mage_Core_Modules, Lib_Varien, Lib_Js_Mage, Lib_Js_Prototype, Lib_ZF & Lib_ZF_Locale.

System
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8
PHP Version 5.2.6 (CGI/FastCGI)
Magento ver. 1.0.19870.4

I’ve tried many things for different issues over the last couple of days and now I’m thoroughly confused and not sure how to proceed.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

I should note I’m running suPHP and have moved the PHP config from .htaccess into a php.ini and copied it to every directory under Magento (I didn’t want to change the global php.ini).

Edit: Same issues with both downloaders (1.0.19870 & 1.1.0).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Esme

Total Posts:  6

I am getting the exact same issue and I am not sure whether it is my hosting package that is the problem… the shop in general is working fine but trying to use the Magento Connect has resulted in the exact same error as Vee has posted.
I can see the tgz file is there in my download folder, but it does not seem to be able to read it…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

Esme, would you happen to know if the PHP on your server is installed as a CGI binary or an Apache module? If your not sure, use phpinfo() and check “Server API”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Esme

Server API Apache 2.0 Handler

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

I tried it with FastCGI as the PHP handler with no joy - is this something nobody else has experienced or does nobody care to help? It surprises me that this thread has not received more attention.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rfazuer

Total Posts:  15

I had posted with this same issue earlier in the year and likewise received no comments/feedback.  Perhaps it can be logged as a bug?  I can’t come up with any reasons why this is happening.  At first I thought it was because I had customized by own interface/theme, but I had the problem with a fresh instal.  I also wondered if it was because the file size was too large, but one of the other tgz files is larger than the frontend one which is giving me a problem (it is only one file that gives me this error).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

With some more investigation last night, it’s been suggested it may be due to permissions with or something else to do with PEAR. Is there some way to enable advanced logging in the Magento downloader?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

Still no resolution and I’m not prepared to pay $500 to support just to test out the system - so someone please help us figure this one out!

I’m still getting error messages like;

downloading Mage_Core_Modules-1.0.19870.4.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_Core_Modules-1.0.19870.4.tgz (958,687 bytes)
done958,687 bytes
Could not get contents of package 
"/home/beea3314/public_html/magento/downloader/pearlib/download/Mage_Core_Modules-1.0.19870.4.tgz"Invalid tgz file.
Download of "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" succeededbut it is not a valid package archive
Error
cannot download "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules"

System specs;
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8
PHP Version 5.2.6

Also, I’m running suPHP which I think might be part of the problem with not being able to extract the archives - can’t be positive though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

Is it possible to enable advanced logging in the Magento downloader?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

I’ve tried it again under a different hosting account and via SSH by referencing instructions at http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/installing_magento_via_shell_ssh#root_web_directory1 and some general desperate hacking. I’ll try installing it again (probably today but might leave it for tomorrow) and post a full write-up for the other folks in this thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Esme

Hi Vee,

How did it go with the other hosting account?

I’ve been thinking perhaps I could install the packages manually but I don’t really know where to start. I’ve got the tgz files there so - maybe something could be done but I am not sure how it works.
I would like to implement the Direct resize module NetAmbition_DirectResize - so if anyone has been able to do this manually let me know!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

Hi Esme,

I have got it up and running, but I have to run the downloader from SSH - the web based version does not want to work for me and I have no idea why.

My client is happy with the initial demo but would like to try it out for themselves, so I will be creating a new install for them to do as they please on. I will take notes and get back here with a bit of a guide.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

I have my own VPS running cPanel and root access. The following is an outline of what I had to do to get Magento installed (using the downloader) and running.

In WHM
• Enable normal shell access for account (Jail shell does not have enough access) See “Main >> Account Functions >> Manage Shell Access” in cPanel.
• Update PHP’s memory_limit to 32M, See “Main >> Service Configuration >> PHP Configuration Editor”

In cPanel
• Create subdomain in cPanel (/magento/public_html)
• Create MySQL database

Get Magento, prepare and upload
• Download the latest Magento downloader archive
• Transpose PHP config in .htaccess to php.ini
• Upload to your web space

In SSH
• chmod 744 pear
• ./pear mage-setup .
• ./pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest
• rm -rf downloader/pearlib/cache/* downloader/pearlib/download/*

In Browser
• Load Magento to complete installation
• To fix error “Path “...snip.../media” must be writable”, create a directory called media

Finish Up
• Change PHP memory_limit back to 8M in WHM if it’s important to you

As always, your mileage may vary…

Magento Community
Magento Community

SCY

Total Posts:  47

Hello, I am confused because I have 1.2.1 for production site and I got the following while I tried to use Modern theme for a trial costomization.

Did not download optional dependencies: pear/XML_RPC, use --alldeps to download automatically
pear/PEAR can optionally use package “pear/XML_RPC” (version >= 1.4.0)
downloading Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern-1.2.1.tgz (494,231 bytes)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...done: 494,231 bytes
downloading Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.1.2.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.1.2.tgz (1,454,277 bytes)
...done: 1,454,277 bytes
downloading Lib_Varien-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Varien-1.2.1.tgz (102,295 bytes)
...done: 102,295 bytes
downloading Lib_Google_Checkout-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Google_Checkout-1.2.0.tgz (27,164 bytes)
...done: 27,164 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Calendar-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Calendar-1.2.0.tgz (23,028 bytes)
...done: 23,028 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Mage-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Mage-1.2.1.tgz (69,076 bytes)
...done: 69,076 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Prototype-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Prototype-1.2.0.tgz (218,721 bytes)
...done: 218,721 bytes
downloading Lib_ZF-1.7.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_ZF-1.7.2.1.tgz (1,252,768 bytes)
...done: 1,252,768 bytes
downloading Mage_Pear_Helpers-1.0.18800.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_Pear_Helpers-1.0.18800.tgz (9,225 bytes)
...done: 9,225 bytes
downloading Lib_ZF_Locale-1.7.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_ZF_Locale-1.7.2.1.tgz (1,279,085 bytes)
...done: 1,279,085 bytes
downloading PEAR-1.7.2.tgz ...
Starting to download PEAR-1.7.2.tgz (302,744 bytes)
...done: 302,744 bytes
downloading Archive_Tar-1.3.2.tgz ...
Starting to download Archive_Tar-1.3.2.tgz (17,150 bytes)
...done: 17,150 bytes
Could not get contents of package “/home/XXXXXX/public_html/xxxxx.com/downloader/pearlib/download/Archive_Tar-1.3.2.tgz”. Invalid tgz file.
Download of “pear/Archive_Tar” succeeded, but it is not a valid package archive
Error: cannot download “pear/Archive_Tar”

downloading Structures_Graph-1.0.2.tgz ...
Starting to download Structures_Graph-1.0.2.tgz (30,947 bytes)
...done: 30,947 bytes
Could not get contents of package “/home/XXXXXX/public_html/xxxxx.com/downloader/pearlib/download/Structures_Graph-1.0.2.tgz”. Invalid tgz file.
Download of “pear/Structures_Graph” succeeded, but it is not a valid package archive
Error: cannot download “pear/Structures_Graph”

downloading Console_Getopt-1.2.3.tgz ...
Starting to download Console_Getopt-1.2.3.tgz (4,011 bytes)
...done: 4,011 bytes
Could not get contents of package “/home/XXXXXX/public_html/xxxxx.com/downloader/pearlib/download/Console_Getopt-1.2.3.tgz”. Invalid tgz file.
Download of “pear/Console_Getopt” succeeded, but it is not a valid package archive
Error: cannot download “pear/Console_Getopt”

pear/PEAR requires package “pear/Archive_Tar” (recommended version 1.3.2)
pear/PEAR requires package “pear/Structures_Graph” (recommended version 1.0.2)
pear/PEAR requires package “pear/Console_Getopt” (recommended version 1.2.3)
magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers requires package “pear/PEAR” (version >= 1.6.2)
magento-core/Lib_Google_Checkout requires package “magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” (version >= 1.0.18800)
magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules requires package “magento-core/Lib_Google_Checkout” (version >= 1.2.0, version <= 1.2.2, excluded versions: 1.2.2)
magento-core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Modern requires package “magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules” (version >= 1.2.1, version <= 1.2.2, excluded versions: 1.2.2)
magento-core/Lib_Js_Calendar requires package “magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” (version >= 1.0.18800)
magento-core/Lib_Js_Prototype requires package “magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” (version >= 1.0.18800)
magento-core/Lib_Js_Mage requires package “magento-core/Lib_Js_Prototype” (version >= 1.2.0, version <= 1.2.2, excluded versions: 1.2.2)
magento-core/Lib_ZF requires package “magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” (version >= 1.0.18800)
magento-core/Lib_Varien requires package “magento-core/Lib_ZF” (version >= 1.7.2.1, version <= 1.7.3, excluded versions: 1.7.3)
magento-core/Lib_ZF_Locale requires package “magento-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” (version >= 1.0.18800)
Install Errors
Download failed
PEAR ERROR: install failed

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

I get this sometimes as well, and am not sure if it’s a local issue or a Magento Connect issue (the channel). What I eventually end up doing is forcing a re-install of the failed package, e.g.:

./pear install -<failed_extension_key>

Keep repeating that on the individual extensions that failed.

You could also try forcing a reinstall of everything:

./pear install ---alldeps magento-core/Mage_All_Latest

Eventually it seems to go through hmmm

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2