Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to setup attribute sets - what are the recommendation for sharing information between different product categories

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

I am exploring using attributes and attribute sets.

In the most recent Magento - Open Source eCommerce interview with “Liaison Dangereuse on Magento”, I noticed the following comment:

“Any recommendations for people evaluating Magento?
When we started with Magento in May we made a lot of mistakes in creating products and attributes. After we added several hundred products we got stuck and asked Phoenix Medien for help. They explained us how to setup attribute sets and how to share that information between different product categories which now is the basis for our great search assistant.

So, what are the general recommendations of setting up a attribute set and sharing it between different product categories.

As a requested feature, it would be nice (look better) to show the attributes sorted by each attribute group under the “Additional Information” Tab (see the enclosed example of such in function).

Image Attachments
attribute-set-subset.JPG

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

designsimply

Total Posts:  5
Salt Lake City, UT

I would also love to hear someone elaborate on the ins and outs of creating attribute sets and sharing attributes between product categories. I do know that, right now, you can’t change the attribute set assigned to a product after the product has been created, but you can edit the attribute set. So, one tip might be to establish attribute set names for each product type ahead of time. As for sharing an attribute set between products, it seems to me that if you name products with more “sharable” names, you will have more flexibility. For example, using “Capacity” as an attribute might allow you to apply it to many different product types versus using “Hard Drive Size” which is applicable only to hard drives.

Would love to hear other input on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Hi, yes I have come to the same conclusion as you. It is important to set up a attribute set for each product category, then it can be changed later on to your needs.

To help optimalize the sharing of attributes over the product categories, a spreadsheet is a good tool.

I am also interested to know if there is any more to it ... for example, how many attributes can I use, before it will have a noticeable effect on the speed.

On more thing I have taken notice of: in the demo database, magento had set up a attribute for computer_manufacturers, and one for manufacturer. If you chose to let both the attributes be available in advanced search, then the user can search through a dropdownlist of manfucturers of computers, and another dropdown list of other manufactuers. Although I believe in most cases this might look cunfusing for the customer, sharing attribues must not always be what you want.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community