Magento Forum

The Official Magento DataFlow is Incompetent Thread - The Petition Thread

JikeSpingleton

Total Posts:  30

I am creating this thread as a petition to the Magento team to stop ignoring the blatantly apparent incompetence of the DataFlow feature of Magento.

Some issues I have noticed with DataFlow that Magento has completely ignored. (I’d like to note that Magento seems to ignore most of the problems with their software if you take even a couple of minutes to peruse the bug section you’ll see that their idea of “resolving” bugs is to click the button that says “Resolve” on their backend without even paying a second of attention to actually fixing the bugs.)

So, here we go… please feel free to chime in with the issues you’re having if i dont have them listed:

1.) Magento bulk import is unacceptably slow… I advise the Magento team to use Volusion, or the MonsterCommerce eCommerce products and use their import tools as a reference of how fast this needs to happen.

2.) Inability to import configurable products

3.) Inability to easily download exported product .csv files

4.) Confusing naming conventions make running a profile very very confusing

5.) Changing products in .csv only adds new products (doesnt change them) once the products are imported back into Magento.

6.) No upload button on upload products page.

7.) Redundant fields such as “store” make using DataFlow more difficult

8.) Features in export profiles are not available in import profiles which leads the user to believe that exporting, editing, and importing of certain things is possible even though it is not because the option is there in the export utility…

9.) DataFlow is unacceptably slow

10.) DataFlow is really really slow, unusable for any store with over 200 products. It shouldnt take 30 minutes to upload 200 products… infact, it shouldnt take 30 seconds to upload that many products. On other platforms 200 products are imported almost instantaneously.

Feel free to add your complaints below. Maybe this will get their attention, although I doubt it.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dragonsmanor

Total Posts:  1

1. No usable documentation.

2. No troubleshooting faqs.

3. No usable solution to products uploaded by Dataflow appearing on the back end but not on the front end. A simple sql fix should suffice if anyone can figure out just what needs to be fixed, I am still wading through the humongous table structure. <mumble>

4. No explanation why a downloaded csv changes field order from iteration to iteration with no change made on the back end other than adding a product to an existing category that has existing products. I can’t even get my head around this. How can it be programmed to change the order when nothing has changed structurally? Not that it matters much, I just want to know how it does that.

5. No information on database indexes or on whether they are being manipulated by Dataflow. In fact no information anywhere that I can find on how database indexing is being used by Magento.

6. With the enormous queries being used and numerous multiple left joins no wonder this thing is dreadfully slow on both the back end and front end. By the way 1 second to output the data to the browser is NOT acceptable for anyone that has more than 10 users online at the same time let alone the load times people are seeing. Throwing more hardware at the problem is not a solution, it is a band-aid. Proper programming should generate times in the hundreth of seconds. I get such timings on osCommerce unmodified.

7. Monumental lack of features to upload attributes, categories and images. My catalog has over 100 styles, 141 colors, 67 sizes and around different 20 packaging units. Three small styles generated 1801 simple products. It will take weeks to import everything. If I have to save each individual product by hand just to get it to show up on the front end it would take months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JikeSpingleton

"Seems to be a growing trend here. Halfway implement something and then move on to the next big WOW factor without ever finishing things that were started. Hopefully that trend doesn’t continue for much longer. “

I couldnt agree with you more. I’ve said this countless times, that they need to stop implementing new features and start fixing the broken ones they already have.

I’ll post this here, as it may help the Magento team. This is a priority list created by the best software developer in the world, Wil Shiply.

“In my personal pantheon of bugs, this report was triaged at the top. Roughly, my triage order is:

• Data-loss bugs
• Unavoidable crashers
• Functionality-blocking bugs
• Avoidable crashers
• Avoidable bugs
• Misfeatures
• Performance issues
• Feature suggestions
• UI feedback
• New Features

This is, of course, a rough ordering: obviously if a customer is trying to publish a single item to her website and it’s taking a half hour, then I’m obviously going to bump that up the list over someone whose app crashes when she leans on the “a” key for a three hours in the “Actors” field. (For the record, neither of those are real bugs.)”

Wil is the most realistic, talented, and creative developer on planet earth, his triage list here should be adopted by Magento. They may find more success than the obviously broken system they employ now.

Magento,

Your software is broken, you have amassed a great number of features for your eCommerce program. Unfortunately, a great deal of them are broken to the point of being unusable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Agent Mo

Total Posts:  51

As mentioned before, if this its true, it makes the whole system useless. I thought I found a good shop solution, based on new technologies and a good code base. Now I’m hearing this, what makes me reconsidering about a shop solution.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about the system - so I can’t really evaluate what you guys are saying. So it would be really good, if someone from Varien could comment this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gallo123

I’m new here and was very excited about magento, but then I stumbled upon this thread. Now I’m a bit sceptical about using it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I think part of the problem is that Varien is trying to do something no one really has come close to doing before at this level of scale.
They are walking uncharted territories and I’m guessing it will take a lot more trials and errors before they can get this and other “ideas” to action.

If there is any company that can accomplish something like this, well, I’ll put my money on Varien. They seem to have the experience and the man power to accomplish their goals. Not many companies get the luxury to have those two.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Agent Mo

I’m a sotware developer for over six years, emphasis on web developing. And I agree with JikeSpingleton posted pantheon of bugs. Sure, shop software isn’t a simple guestbook - but without a right concept and a the right priority list software makes a peck of trouble.

Why don’t you develop your own shop software? May you ask. Because I know what a bunch of work it is. What I’m planning is to dive into the code and contribute fixes, featueres and stuff…

... but only if it makes sense. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Agent Mo

Hello Varien,

what’s going on? Nothing to say?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Have you tried the solution (I use “solution” lightly) towards the end of this thread?

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7740/

If you have release 1.0.19870.2 or newer

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

5.) Changing products in .csv only adds new products (doesnt change them) once the products are imported back into Magento.

If you don’t change the sku-field then you can change the other fields without importing them as new. Just checked this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

benau

Total Posts:  26

I have a positive attitude to Varien - but I do think DataFlow needs fixing. Out here in the real world we need import and export (at least from and to Magento) to work without a hitch. We have hundreds of items in our catalogues. It has taken me hours to find work arounds at every step of the process of importing catalogue data - including the strange situation that data imported from an XML file with the store field set to ‘admin’ doesn’t display in the front end unless you open each item and save it. Of course, the solution is to have the store field set to ‘default’ - but wouldn’t it be nice if Magento exported XML right the first time so I didn’t have to scour the forums desperately for a solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JikeSpingleton

This software is riddled with bugs, inexcusable inefficiencies, its slow as molasses, and is not very business friendly.

If you’re a designer, Magento is the SHIZNIT to design. It looks nice and is really easy to theme… Applying the theme you create is done in the most asinine way I have ever seen, but if we excuse the idiocy of its implementation it is pretty easy to theme.

HOWEVER—From a business standpoint, ie: IF YOU WANT TO SELL STUFF!! It is by far the least logical, user friendly, disorganized, slow, inefficient, reliable, and difficult to manage software available. Nothing works the way it should, the way configurable products are built, the way attributes are assigned, the way everything WORKS (when it works), wreaks of incompetence and ignorance towards the software’s blaring shortcomings. The fact that there is NO SUPPORT on a BROKEN PRODUCT is INEXCUSABLE. Thinking of Magento makes me sick to my stomache. I am trying to work with it, but everytime I get something extremely painful done and think that its smooth sailing… EHH WRONG! The very next thing I’ve got to get done DOESNT WORK EITHER. I can see if this happened once, maybe twice during the build/design/setup process for the store i’m working on… But it has been EVERY SINGLE THING. There is at least 1 MAJOR PRODUCTIVITY DESTROYING BUG in every aspect of this software. Things that should take seconds or minutes on other carts… TAKE ME DAYYYSSS, sometimes WEEKS to complete using Magento. Ugghhh I cant keep talking about this, it really really makes me physically ill that devs have not pulled this software… sick..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dazillio

Total Posts:  6
Coral Springs, Florida

I see a lot of cry babies on this thread… How much did you pay for the script?  I think it’s at no cost for a majority of us and the script seems to be in continuous development.  If you don’t like it, don’t use it… But by all means, DON’T Trash IT.  I’m having a problem or two myself, however, I see it as being a new platform and will outshine a vast majority of carts in the near future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

Total Posts:  67

Stop using the backend import/export module and start using API. We import / export / sync about 3200 using API calls. It’s slow, but it works fine

Magento Community
Magento Community

jrose400

Hi this is a test
Nice Topic

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community