Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding “Custom” data to existing data

MunchyMonster

Total Posts:  71
New Hampshire, USA

I (like so many others) want to attach a delivery date to my order data. I’m pretty sure I can figure out a way to harvest the data from the user. Now how do I attach it to an order and propagate it through the order and fulfillment process? Obviously it needs to be visible on the back end for this to be useful. Anybody willing to point me in the right direction?

-MunchyMonster

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

acketon

Total Posts:  14

I second this… it’s really needed. I had a friend who is a really good programmer start to look at it, but the lack of documentation is making it nearly impossible to get started.

We need a way to be able to attach a date, or really any kind of custom text field or user input into the order during the checkout process. Without this I’m going to have to set my client up on a different shopping cart which I’m not happy about because I’ve really come to like Magento and think it will turn out to be amazing down the road.

I bought the book on Magento and it has some guides to creating modules but not really anything with the shipping/checkout process.

MunchyMonster: do you think you can get the data into the database during the checkout? I can’t even get to that point. I would think it would be much harder to get the data into the database to begin with than to get it to show on the invoice / packing slips…

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Hey guy’s, there are a few ways to do this.  One way (and I don’t know how correct it is) is to put the data in one of the forms on the backend.  Add the extra field to the sales_order table (this bypasses the EAV as that is only a normal database table format) and in the controller upon save, do a getRequest and save on the form data.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

This is what I did for the backend saving:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/10763/P15/

Magento Community
Magento Community

acketon

Total Posts:  14

hmm, that modifies the core though, right?

What I really need is the following:

a local delivery module, either taking the table rates and moving it out of the core, or using something like the Local Delivery module that MunchyMonster wrote ( http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7247/ ) and adding in a delivery/date time to it. A couple drop downs with some days and times would be great, but at this point even a blank text field that the user can type anything into would work.

What I think is needed:

1) The shipping module has to call in a template that can show the form fields when the shipping module is selected (or just below it all the time). Kind of like how the Credit Card payment module works where the credit card number/expiration/etc. fields appear below the credit card radio button in the payment module.

2) We need an extra field or two in the sales order table in the database

3) we need to have it save the data in the database when the checkout process moves to the next step. I looked in some code I don’t remember the files but can we modify the current save process for the shipping_method field (the radio buttons listed in the Shipping Method checkout section) and have the extra date/text fields save at the same time into the appropriate section of the table?

4) we then need to have the text pulled from the database and displayed on the invoice in the admin...I’m thinking this shouldn’t be too hard? or will this require hacks to the core?

I’m no programmer, I’m a designer, but I can make my way through some modifications...usually takes long hours and frequent smashing of my head against the wall. In this case I’d just as soon pay someone to do it.

If we can’t keep all of this outside of the core...will we be screwed for upgrades? I don’t want to be locked out of updating the shop.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

Hi,
you might be interested in a ready to use solution: 
There is Delivery Date extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community